- Language of instruction: English
- Number of students enrolled: 28,000
- Number of campuses: 2
- Academic year: September - May
- Autumn Semester Equivalent: September - December
- Spring Semester Equivalent: January - May
Founded in 1910, HKU is the oldest tertiary education institution in Hong Kong and is the highest ranked university in Hong Kong according to the QS World University Rankings 2018. HKU is located in the northwest of the island, in the core urban area of Hong Kong, Central. This part of Hong Kong provides evidence of its colonial past.
Areas of study include arts, architecture, business, economics, engineering, law, sciences and social sciences.
- 4.5 hour flight to Tokyo, Japan
- 4 hour flight to Seoul, South Korea
Hong Kong Island is the island that gives the territory Hong Kong its name. The city is divided into a number of regions. HKU is located in the northwest of the island, in the core urban area of Hong Kong, Central. This part of Hong Kong provides evidence of its colonial past. You can walk from the University through the Po Fu Lam Country Park to The Peak, one of the most popular attractions in Hong Kong, providing stunning views of the surrounding city skyline, the famous Victoria harbour and Kowloon.
There are also many opportunities to travel within the different regions of Hong Kong, including experiencing vibrant dining, shopping and nightlife area in Kowloon, chilling out on idyllic beaches on the Southern side of the island, visiting the Ma Wan Park Noah’s Ark in the New Territories or seeing the giant Buddha, Disneyland and the Ngong Ping cable car in the Outlying Islands.
Top attractions: Tian Tan Buddha, Peak Tower, Ocean Park Theme Park, Apliu Street Market and Tsim Sha Tsui East Promenade skyline viewpoint.
Hong Kong is situated in the heart of SE Asia and offers fantastic travel opportunities including Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. It takes 2½ hours to fly from Hong Kong to Shanghai and around 3½ hours to Beijing, or you can visit Shenzhen by train or bus.
Hong Kong weather is famous for its unpredictability. Despite having a subtropical climate, the city has four distinct seasons: Fall (September-December) average 24ºC; Winter (December-February) average 17ºC; Spring warming towards 25ºC with many showers; Summer (June-August) average 28ºC with high humidity.
Bursaries from the University of Nottingham available for those accepted to study abroad at HKU:
Means-tested Global Travel Bursary of £750 dependent on household income for students starting their studies in 2016 or after. Students who started their studies before 2016 should see the finance webpage, as the award criteria differs (available to students classed as Home Students for fees purposes and accepted to study abroad as part of the University-wide exchange programme)
Approximate living costs per semester:
- Return flight from UK (av. 12 hours): £500-800
- Visa costs: HK$ 350 - 900
- Medical Insurance: £50-100+
- Accommodation: HK$ 4,800 - 14,847 per semester
- Travel insurance: approx. 94p. per day, depending on personal circumstances (taken from STA insurance estimate)
Approximate living costs compiled from external sources and partner university website.
More on hall charges
Cost of living
- University halls of residence are available but not guaranteed to exchange students. Most rooms are shared between two students with a bathroom shared between four. Accommodation is self-catered with a kitchen on each floor, but there are cafeterias on campus and in hall that provide subsidised meals for students. All halls have common rooms, a laundry and recreational facilities. Internet access and a telephone are provided in each room in most of the halls. Hall fees will not normally include air-conditioning which is payable depending on usage. HKU halls are known for their strong hall spirit, and each hall has its own tradition, culture, and unique characteristics.
- Private accommodation is available but quite limited and significantly more expensive. Most landlords tend to only consider a one-year lease.
More about accommodation
Application success rate
Percentage of students placed at this partner out of total applications received (including 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice).
2016/17 = 37%
2017/18 = 48%
2018/19 = 41%
Module links and information
Discovering HKU Campus
More about studying abroad at the University of Hong Kong
HKU disability support