Fire safety

   
   

Stay safe, enjoy life

We all know that your university days are among the best in your life. You're away from home - possibly for the first time and there's a whole world of new experiences out there! This is a new chapter in your life and a big step towards your chosen career. So it's not something you would want to throw away.  

Fire can damage not only your home and possessions but it can wreck lives - your life, your family's and your friends'.

Stay safe, enjoy life
 

When you share accommodation you're much more likely to experience a fire, which is why you have to take extra care to make sure it doesn't happen to you.  

Over the past five years cigarettes, smoking materials and candles have been the cause of 1,500 injuries among 18 - 24 years olds. Fifty-five per cent of accidental fire deaths amongst this age group occur through the carelessness in the kitchen when cooking and the handling of hot substances and misuse of electrical equipment.

Directgov website

 

Fire safety in the home

Have a look at the directgov website for more in-depth details about fire safety in your hall/home.

 

Top 10 student fire safety tips

  1. Fit smoke alarms on each level of the property and test them weekly
  2. Never leave cooking unattended, especially when using a microwave
  3. Never attempt to cook while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  4. Don't overload plug sockets
  5. Switch off electrical appliances like phone chargers and hair straighteners when not in use
  6. Take extra care with cigarettes and smoking materials
  7. Never leave candles unattended.
  8. Check furniture has the permanent fire-resistant label
  9. Practice an escape route
  10. If a fire starts, get out, stay out and dial 999
 
 

Student Communications Officer

Communications and Marketing
University Park Campus
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone:+44 (0)115 82 32353
e: studentcommsoffice@nottingham.ac.uk