Student housing


House hunting help

Whether you choose to live in halls, a large development or private housing during your time at University, we can provide advice and support to help you choose the perfect student pad.

The University's accommodation website has information on the choices available, virtual tours and student opinion. If you need advice or want to get your contract checked over, contact Students' Union Advice. Check the SU's Housing Advice page for more information.

Male undergraduate student studying in Cavendish Hall, University Campus


Finding a new place - what, when and how

Finding a new place - your guide to househunting

Moving in

Moving out


If you enjoyed your time in halls or liked the look of any of our other catered or non-catered accommodation, you can choose to stay in halls for another year of throughout your degree. See the options available on the Accommodation website.


Alternatively, if you like the hall feel but want to move off the University campus? Why not choose to live in one of four accredited developments in Lenton or Radford.

Private housing


We understand that it can be daunting to find and secure the tenancy of a private house, but once you know what to do, it can be a straightforward process. Find out more from our accommodation office.


Don't rush

As December rolls around it can almost feel like a bit of a mad dash to secure accommodation for the next year before all of the good stuff gets snapped up. But don't panic. There is always plenty of accommodation still available after exams in February and it's much more important to ensure that you find the right home for you.

It can be a daunting prospect to find and secure the tenancy of a private house, but once you know what to do, it can be a straightforward process.

  1. Where to live. Think about which area would be most convenient in terms of location and facilities before you start.
  2. How to search. If you're living in a shared house (House in Multiple Occupation or HMO) in Nottingham it should be licensed by Nottingham City Council. Further information is available on the HMO register. Nottingham landlords are also encouraged to become part of the Nottingham Standard accreditation scheme. This guarantees a minimum standard for privately rented accommodation across the city. We encourage you to check whether your house is licensed and whether your landlord is accredited before signing up for a tenancy.
  3. If you need advice or if you want to get your contract checked before you sign it, you can visit the Student Advice Centre in Portland Building, University Park. Fore more details and advice, please see the  Student Advice Centre's housing page.

Stay safe in your student accommodation


Before you move into your student accomodation make sure that it is safe. Ask your landlord to show you proof of the home's  gas safety record and ensure that fire and carbon monoxide alarms are fitted.

After moving in there are also things that you can do to keep yourself safe: check your safety alarms once a week and never leave cooking or electrical equipment unattended, either when in use or when on standby.


Student Communications Officer

Communications and Marketing
University Park Campus
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone:+44 (0)115 82 32353