Before applying for a place through UCAS-TT you must:
- hold GCSEs in English language, mathematics, and science at grade C or above or an approved equivalent qualification
Before the course begins at the end of August, you must:
- hold a UK undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification (any degree subject is acceptable)
- pass the Professional Skills tests
- meet the standards for 'Fitness to Teach'
- complete an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service
You must hold GCSEs in English language, mathematics, and science at grade C or above, or an approved equivalent qualification prior to applying for a place on UCAS-TT.
View a list of approved equivalent qualifications. Please note that equivalent international qualifications to GCSEs requires NARIC certification.
What might tutors be looking for in an application?
- Writing which adopts an appropriate style
- Writing which is grammatically correct and spell-checked
- The ability to choose and use examples from practice, analysing these in the light of what you have learned from the experience: go beyond description to show your developing insights
- An awareness of how what you are observing is affecting your thinking
- Consideration of what you can offer the pupils in terms of skills and abilities
- Demonstration of your personality
- The ability to reflect on your own progress, on your views and your experiences
You must hold a UK degree or equivalent qualification before the course begins. Please note that equivalent international qualifications to a UK Degree require NARIC certification.
Your degree can be in any subject.
Professional Skills tests
You will need to pass the Numeracy and Literacy Professional Skills tests before the course begins.
You will be able to take these once you have applied for a course and you need to show evidence of application in order to take the test.
You are encouraged to register for and pass the skills tests as soon as possible. Candidates will be able to book with learndirect for tests via the skills test registration page or by phoning +44 (0)300 303 9613.
You can also prepare for the tests by using the practice materials on the Department for Education website.
Once offered a place on the course please let us know if on the first occasion of attempting the test you are not successful as we are able to offer support.
Admission to all routes is subject to a satisfactory medical report as you are required to meet the standards for 'Fitness to Teach'. The University carries out the 'Fitness to Teach' process once you have been offered a place.
For all initial teacher training courses, you must complete forms requesting an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). In addition, you will be required to disclose any previous convictions, cautions, reprimands or final warnings to the School of Education, including spent and unspent convictions.
The cost of the DBS application will be paid by the School of Education, and the process will begin once you have been offered a place.
You will find further details on the UCAS Teacher Training website. If you do have a criminal record, you are strongly advised to follow the disclosure guidance on the website before submitting your application.