University of Nottingham Elan at the University of Nottingham

Getting Started

Home > jargonbuster > b

tbcWelcome to the Jargon Buster

This is el@n's jargon buster. Please click on a letter to search through our list of terms you may find used when discussing e-learning and the internet. If you can't find the term you are looking for, please email The IS-learning team

a b c d e f g h i j k l m

n o p q r s t u v w x y z


A blog (a word formed from conjoining "Web" and "Log") is a website on which a "blogger" comments and posts, usually in the form of an online diary or commentary on news and events). Blog is also a verb - "to blog" - meaning to work on your blog.

Blended Learning

The use of e-learning in conjunction with face-to-face teaching.


Blackboard is the University's centrally supported VLE (Virtual learning environment). WebCT has recentyl been taken over by Blackboard and as such WebCT 6 and Blackboard are effectively synonymous terms.



tbc Related pages

tbc Don't forget

If you're not sure about a term, or need more help - look for staff support

tbc Useful links

For information on online courses or distance learning please click here

Home | A to Z index | Contact | About El@n

© 2007 University of Nottingham
Developed by the IS Learning team