Introduction to placements
Placements in industry are available for students across the following departments:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical and Environmental Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
Stavrini, Civil Engineering student on placement at Bridgeway Consulting Limited
The Department of Architecture and Built Environment also have extensive links with practice, which inform and enrich teaching. Students wishing to progress to our diploma course after the BArch or MEng will need experience in practice. Please see our year out in practice for more information.
We strongly encourage you to consider an industrial placement. This is your chance to:
- develop your skills in an industry setting
- improve your employment prospects – many students secure a graduate job as a direct result of a placement
- see the practical results of your learning
- earn money
- secure funding for your remaining years of study
- make contacts and meet professionals
- get a real insight into the industry you are interested in
How do placements work?
Most students undertake a placement in the penultimate year of their programme.
- Pre placement: A full programme of support is available from the Faculty Placement team to help you secure a suitable placement.
- On placement: You will be employed and paid by your host company, however, you remain a fully registered student. You will receive support from an academic tutor and the Faculty Placement team, including visits where appropriate and guidance on making the most of your year.
- Post placement: We will support you to fully integrate back into your course including co-ordinating module choices and projects.