Professor Ir. Dr. Denny K. S. Ng is Head of Business Engagement and Innovation Services (BEIS), The University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus. He is also Professor at the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering and Founding Director of Centre of Sustainable Palm Oil Research (CESPOR). He served as member of the advisory panel for MyHIJAU Training (MHT), Malaysian Green Technology Corporation (Green Tech Malaysia), International Committee Member of IChemE's Medals & Prizes, Committee Member of Chemical Engineering Technical Division, Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM) and Chair of IEM Chemical Engineering Design Competition 2015. Prof. Ng is fellow of The Higher Education Academy, United Kingdom; Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council, United Kingdom; Professional Engineer, Board of Engineers, Malaysia (BEM); Member of Young Scientist Network - Academy of Sciences Malaysia (YSN-ASM) and Exco Member, Alumni Yayasan Tun Abdul Razak, Malaysia. His areas of specialisation include energy management, resource conservation via process integration techniques (pinch analysis and mathematical optimisation), synthesis and analysis of biomass processing and integrated bio refineries, as well as energy planning for greenhouse gas emission reduction. Prof. Ng is well-published and well-cited (over 150 papers with an h-index of 28) and presented more than 180 papers in various conferences. Prof. Ng is also serving as international scientific committee for several international conferences. Besides, he also serves as reviewer for more than 50 peer review journals. He establishes collaboration with well-known international researchers from the United Kingdom, United State, the Philippines, Taiwan, etc. throughout his career. He was the recipient of Ten Outstanding Young Malaysian Award (TOYM) 2017 (Scientific and Technological Development), Junior Chamber International (JCI); Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM) Young Engineer Award 2015; Three Outstanding Young Persons of Negeri Sembilan (3OYP.NS) Awards, JCI 2014; Global IChemE Young Chemical Engineer of the Year 2012; First Class Excellence Award of Yayasan Negeri Sembilan, 2009 and World Federation of Scientists (Malaysia National Scholarship) award in 2007. Other than the abovementioned personal awards, Prof Ng also received various awards from professional bodies and institutions on his great achievements and contributions to the society. Apart from focusing on research and development (R&D), Prof. Ng also applied his R&D output in industrial consultation projects. To date, Prof. Ng has received more than RM 2 million research grants from government and industries to develop his research and commercialise the outputs. Prof Ng is also currently executive director for a spin off company of university, Nottingham Green Technologies Sdn. Bhd., which mainly commercialise the development technologies to the industry.
Integrated zero waste management system
Process synthesis & design
Biomass processing & integrated biorefineries
Oil palm biomass planning & utilisation
Planning of carbon capture and storage
NG, D. K. S. and NG, R. T. L., 2013. Applications of Process System Engineering in Palm-Based Biomass Processing Industry Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering. 2, 448 – 454
NG, R. T. L., NG, D. K. S. and TAN, R. R., 2015. Optimal Planning, Design and Synthesis of Symbiotic Bioenergy Parks Journal of Cleaner Production. 87, 291–302
Personal Awards: 1. Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM) Young Engineer Award 2015 2. Three Outstanding Young Persons of Negeri Sembilan (3OYP.NS) Awards, Junior Chamber International (JCI), 2014 3. Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) Young Chemical Engineer of the Year 2012, United Kingdom 4. First Class Excellence Award of Yayasan Negeri Sembilan, 2009 5. World Federation of Scientists (Malaysia National Scholarship), 2007 6. First Class Honour of Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 2006
Academic Awards: 1. Finalist of WBM Bio Business Awards 2015 (Feedstock of the Year), World Bio Markets, Netherlands 2. Finalist of International Knowledge Exchange and Innovation Award, The University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, 2014 3. Finalist of Sustainable Technology Award, 2013 IChemE Malaysia Awards for innovation and excellence 4. "Excellence in Reviewing" award, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, Springer, 2013 5. Top cited papers for 2011 and 2012, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, Springer
- Tay, D. H. S., Kheireddine, H., Ng, D. K. S. and El-Halwagi, M. M. Synthesis of an Integrated Biorefinery via the C-H-O Ternary Diagram, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 2011, 13 (4): 567-579.
6. Top author for most cited papers between years 2010 - 2012 in an Elsevier journal - Computers & Chemical Engineering, Elsevier, 2012
- D.K.S. Ng, D.C.Y. Foo, R.R. Tan, M. El-Halwagi. Automated targeting technique for concentration- and property-based total resource conservation network, Computer and Chemical Engineering, 2010, 34, 825-845.
- B. Bao, D.K.S. Ng, D.H.S. Tay, A. Jimenez-Gutierrez, M.M. El-Halwagi. A shortcut method for the preliminary synthesis of process-technology pathways: An optimization approach and application for the conceptual design of integrated biorefineries, Computer and Chemical Engineering, 2011, 35 (8), 1374-1383.
7. Ranked 18th highest cited article in "Top 20 Most Cited IChemE Papers (2008-2010)" Elsevier (2010).
- Tan, R. R., Ng, D. K. S., Foo, D. C. Y., Aviso, K. B. A Superstructure Model for the Synthesis of Single-Contaminant Water Networks with Partitioning Regenerators. Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 2009, 87(3), 197-205.
8. Ranked 3rd highest cited article in "Top-75 most cited articles" as published in the IChemE journals 2006 - 2009, Elsevier (2009).
- Ng, D. K. S., Foo, D. C. Y., Tan, Y. L. and Tan, R. R. Ultimate Flowrate Targeting With Regeneration Placement, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 2007, 85 (A9): 1253-1267.
7. Best paper award in UNESCO Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 2011 8. WaterInno Awards 2009, Water Malaysia 2009, "A Novel Process Integration Technique for Maximising Water Recovery in the Process Plant", Putra World Trade Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 19 - 21 April 2009 (Silver)
Society Awards: 1. 3rd runner up for Year 2014, Presidential Award of Excellence, General Member Session 2014/2015 Chemical Engineering Technical Division, The Institution of Engineers Malaysia 2. Special Merit Award, Presidential Award of Excellence, General Member Session 2013/2014 Chemical Engineering Technical Division, The Institution of Engineers Malaysia 3. Presidential Award of Excellence, General Member Session 2012/2013 Chemical Engineering Technical Division, The Institution of Engineers Malaysia