This workshop brings together those with an interest in improving the experience of young lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in the UK, and features invited speakers from Stonewall and Gendered Intelligence. It aims to:
- foster discussion between those working with young LGBT people and those involved in policy making in the UK
- consider what the most pressing policy issues are, relating to LGBT youth, from a range of perspectives
- facilitate networking between service providers, policy makers and researchers
What will the event consist of?
There will be two short presentations from leading voices in LGBT youth provision:
- Sarah Rose, Senior Account Manager for Stonewall, the leading charity in the UK campaigning for LGBT equal rights
- Finn Greig, Youth Work Lead for Gendered Intelligence, an organisation delivering training and running youth groups for the transgender community
Sarah and Finn will speak about the key issues facing young LGBTQ people in Britain today, what actions they believe should be taken to address these issues, and their aims for the future provision of services for LGBTQ youth.
There will also be a brief presentation from the workshop organiser, Dr Lucy Jones, on her research with LGBT youth. This will include quotes from young people discussing their needs and concerns, in their own words.
There will then be a roundtable discussion of the issues raised, before moving on to a buffet lunch with tea and coffee.
Who is this workshop for?
Invited participants include those working directly with LGBT youth (both from charitable organisations and the public sector) and those involved in policy making relevant to LGBT youth (including Senior Civil Servants and Members of Parliament).