School of English

Frequently asked questions



How long is the period of registration?

All MPhil and Doctorate (PhD) degrees are available for part-time as well as full-time students. 

Periods of Registration (when tuition fees are paid) are as follows:

MPhil Full-time

  • Min 1 year
  • Max 3 years

MPhil Part-time

  • Min 2 years
  • Max 6years


PhD Full-time

  • Min 2 years
  • Max 4 years

PhD Part-time

  • Min 4 years
  • Max 8years
What Supervision is available?

Supervision for research students at PhD and MPhil level is provided by all academic members of staff in the School.

A full list of areas of supervision is available on this website

What is the thesis pending period?

All periods of registration are followed by a period of writing-up (called the Thesis-Pending Period) when tuition fees are not paid and students are writing up their thesis. You can find information about this in the University's  Quality Manual.

During this time you will be able to use the library facilities, have computer access and use the Research Student offices in the School.

Will I be able to get any teaching experience?

Postgraduate research students will not be asked to teach as a matter of course, but they will be eligible to apply to become part-time teaching staff in the School from the second year onwards. Part time teaching staff are paid for teaching, preparation and marking. 

Where do I find out about the University's PhD regulations?

In the first instance, contact your Supervisor, the Postgraduate Administrator (PhD) or refer to the University's Quality Manual. If you require further information, please contact the School.

What are the University term dates?

The University's  term and semester dates are available online.

Is there any student support?

The Student Services Centre at the University can provide you with information and support throughout your studies.  The Centre is located on the University Park Campus and includes:

How do I find out about the tuition fees for my course?

You will find information about tuition fees on the University fees website. If you are studying part-time please note that the tuition fees rate will normally be half the published amount.

Is there any computer provision and support on campus?

The University has a large number of computer rooms across all campuses to provide on-site, 24 hour, computer access for all students.  There is wireless access, network points in study bedrooms in halls of residence and a laptop loan facility with University computer service points across campus.  Further information is available from the  Information Services (IS) website.

If you need help with information systems or computers then the University has help and support from Information Services (IS).  A member of their support team is available in the Student Services Centre, Portland Building, University Park to help with any queries you may have or you can find someone to help you at the Hallward Library reception desk.  There is also an IT Service Desk specifically for students, accessible by phone or email.

Are there any student activities and societies?

Many of the School's students work on the University's award-winning student newspaper and campus radio station.

There is also the  English Society, run by and for students in the School of English Society.  The Society is very active in the School and organises balls, sporting events and theatre trips as well as broadening their charity links, in particular working with a local secondary school to help students develop their communication skills.  Great opportunities to develop your CV and get involved. The English Society in also on  Facebook.

The University also has a  Poetry and Spoken Word society, who have regular open-mic nights.

I am a student from outside the United Kingdom, is there specific information for me?

We have a section on the University website for International Students that will help you with queries about your fees, language tuition, living in Nottingham and support for international students and their families travelling to, and during your studies at, Nottingham.  Information about admissions, entry requirements, courses etc. is available under the relevant section for Prospective Students (Undergraduate, Postgraduate Taught or Postgraduate Research).

Is there any childcare provision?

The University provides excellent childcare facilities for children from the age of six weeks to 12 years. There are nursery facilities, a holiday playscheme and toy library. For further information, please contact  Childcare services.

What is the campus like?

The beautiful University Park Campus is located three miles outside Nottingham city centre and is easy to reach by bus, bicycle, car or even by foot! The campus was donated to the University by Sir Jesse Boot (founder of Boots the Chemist) in 1922 and the School of English is on the ground floor of the Trent Building. All teaching in the School of English is located on the University Park campus and students are able to walk to classes as well as enjoy lakeside walks and even boating on the lake during the summer months! Visitors on Open Days are able to appreciate the size and beauty of the campus. There are also videos of the campus locations and gardens on-line.

The Friends of University Park was formed in 2004 to encourage the local community to visit University Park and to enjoy its vast gardens and grounds. Each year the group organises a series of events, garden walks, special open days and talks to help visitors enjoy the park.

What is it like living in Nottingham?

The city of Nottingham is an exciting, vibrant, cosmopolitan city in the East Midlands with endless sources of entertainment including festivals, theatre, live music venues, pubs and clubs, cinemas and restaurants and cafes to cater for every taste. The University website about Nottingham life has lots of information, videos and links to Facebook to give more information about:

  • our location
  • transport and travel
  • events and nights out
  • our history and culture
  • shopping and dining
Is there an equal opportunities policy?

The University aims to create the conditions whereby students and staff are treated solely on the basis of their merits, abilities and potential, regardless of gender, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, age, socio-economic background, disability, religious or political beliefs, trade union membership, family circumstance, sexual orientation or other irrelevant distinction.

Is there a dress code?

The University of Nottingham welcomes the diversity of appearance that people from different religious and belief backgrounds can bring.

However, there may be health and safety or professional considerations that would restrict certain modes of dress in particular contexts for example when working on placement.

In such cases, it will be necessary for the University to consult with staff/students and placement providers who may be affected by a restriction.

What are the library facilities like?

The University has extensive library holdings for students in English in the University libraries. The main holdings are in the Hallward library as well as collections for research on DH Lawrence, medieval manuscripts, and the important Portland Literary Collection of late seventeenth and early eighteenth century manuscripts. These are housed in the Manuscripts and Special Collections.


Back to top



School of English

Trent Building
The University of Nottingham
University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5900
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 5924