School of English

Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any A-level subjects preferred by the school?

The school's policy is not to discriminate between applicants on the basis of which A-level subjects they have studied (apart from the basic requirement of an A in A-level English for all courses).

You should choose the subjects you find most interesting, and/or those where you think you would most succeed. Please note that this does not include General Studies, Critical Thinking, or Citizenship.

Read more about our Entry Requirements.

Is it possible to transfer into the School of English from another degree course?

We sometimes accept transfers, normally into the first year, provided that we have spaces available.

Please email and include your GCSE and A-level grades, the results of any assessments taken on your current course, and an outline of your reasons for requesting a transfer.

How are modules taught in the School of English?

Teaching is mainly in the form of seminars and lectures, with small group tutorials or workshops on some modules. In addition, all tutors have office hours when students can talk privately with them about their work.

These forms of instruction are very different from the sort of teaching you've probably encountered in school or college. A major difference from work done for A level is the speed at which the course moves. Whereas before, a novel may have occupied your attention for several weeks, at university you'll be expected, say, to cover a new novel every week or fortnight.

The key to success is your own individual reading and research - preparing well for lectures and seminars, and then taking the ideas you encounter further in your own time.

More information about how modules are taught can be found on the Undergraduate courses page.

How are students assessed?

Assessment for your degree is based on a combination of coursework (including essays but also less formal kinds of writing for some modules), presentations and formal examinations. The precise assessment set varies from one module to another.

The first year is a qualifying year, so only the assessments in your second and final years contribute to your degree.

More information about how students are assessed can be found on the Undergraduate courses page.

Is it possible to study abroad?
What support is there for students with a disability, dyslexia or long-term medical condition?

The University of Nottingham is committed to promoting access for students who have a disability, specific learning difficulty (such as dyslexia) and/or a long-term medical condition. Services provided by the University aim to enable students to fulfil the inherent requirements of the course as independently as possible. 

Students who have a disability, specific learning difficulty or long-term medical condition should contact Academic Support as early as possible to ensure that support is available from the start of the degree. You can also contact the School's Disability Liaison Officer, Ben Perrett.

More information on Disability and Academic Support 
Is there an equal opportunities policy?

The University aims to create the conditions whereby students and staff are treated solely on the basis of their merits, abilities and potential, regardless of gender, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, age, socio-economic background, disability, religious or political beliefs, trade union membership, family circumstance, sexual orientation or other irrelevant distinction.

What is the University policy on dress code?

The University of Nottingham welcomes the diversity of appearance that people from different religious and belief backgrounds can bring.

However, there may be health and safety or professional considerations that would restrict certain modes of dress in particular contexts, for example when working on placement. In such cases, it will be necessary for the University to consult with staff/students and placement providers who may be affected by a restriction.

Will I be guaranteed accommodation?

The Accommodation Services website has full details on the accommodation guarantee. 

How do I find out about the tuition fees for my course?

You will find information about tuition fees on the University fees website. If you are studying part-time please note that the tuition fee rate will normally be half the published amount.

What scholarships and bursaries are available?

Making your studies affordable is a key priority at The University of Nottingham and the University has designed a bursary scheme which helps undergraduate students across the broadest possible income range.

Find out more about the range of scholarships and bursaries available at the University.

What opportunities are there for postgraduate study?

After undergraduate study many of our students wish to take their studies further. Some take up postgraduate courses in other universities, whilst many stay in or come to this school to embark on a Masters or Research Degree

Our postgraduate students work on a wide range of topics, from the study of Old English vocabulary to women writers and the Second World War, or the sensation novels of the 1860s, or language and gender in higher education.

Is there any computer provision and support on campus?

The University has a large number of computer rooms across all campuses to provide on-site, 24 hour, computer access for all students. There is wireless access, network points in study bedrooms in halls of residence and a laptop loan facility with University computer service points across campus. Further information is available from the Information Services (IS) website.

If you need help with information systems or computers then the University has help and support from Information Services (IS). A member of their support team is available in the Student Services Centre, Portland Building, University Park to help with any queries you may have or you can find someone to help you at the Hallward Library reception desk. You can also telephone (0115 951 3333) or email the Student IT Service Desk.

I am a student from outside the United Kingdom, is there specific information for me?

We have a section on the website for International Students that will help you with queries about your fees, language tuition, living in Nottingham and support for international students and their families travelling to, and during your studies at, Nottingham. 

Information about admissions, entry requirements, courses etc. is available under the relevant section for Prospective Students (UndergraduateMasters or Research).

Is there any childcare provision?

The University provides excellent childcare facilities for children from the age of six weeks to 12 years.

There are nursery facilities, a holiday playscheme and toy library. For further information, please contact Childcare services.

What is it like being a student in Nottingham?

The city of Nottingham is an exciting, vibrant, cosmopolitan city in the East Midlands with endless sources of entertainment including festivals, theatre, live music venues, pubs and clubs, cinemas and restaurants and cafes to cater for every taste.

Find out more about the student life at Nottingham.


Back to top

Make an enquiry

Online enquiry form

School of English

Trent Building
The University of Nottingham
University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5900
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 5924