School of English

Student Support


16761repro 714x335

Student Support


You will have lots of points of contact, both academic and pastoral, to support you during your studies in the School of English. Please find below further information on the student support available to you.

Your Personal Tutor

All undergraduate students in the School of English are allocated a Personal Tutor in the School. You are expected to meet with your Personal Tutor at several points each academic year and your Personal Tutor will help you to develop your academic and professional skills throughout your degree, and offer support if you are having any personal problems.  If you have a question or need any advice, you should talk to your Personal Tutor. Your Personal Tutor will work with you to review your progress on your degree and help you identify and achieve your personal goals.

What is personal tutoring?

Personal Tutors are academic members of staff who offer support and guidance in:

  • professional development - e.g. careers, volunteering, placement opportunities

  • academic development - e.g. essay writing, time management, revision

  • pastoral and welfare needs - e.g. personal problems, health issues

  • academic community

All Single Honours English undergraduate students take Academic Community, a year-long module in their first year. The module introduces topics and concepts relevant to studying English and studying at University, with team-taught lectures every fortnight and small tutorials led by your Personal Tutor in the intervening weeks. The module also helps tutees to get to know their Personal Tutors, and is assessed by a presentation and a portfolio of work.

Personal Tutor_6669repro_220x199

Peer Mentor, Year Tutor and Senior Tutor

Peer Mentoring, Trent Cafe, Landscape 3 714x213

In addition to your Personal Tutor, you can talk to one of the following people in the School of English: 

Your Peer Mentor

When you arrive at Nottingham, you'll meet your peer mentor and the other first year students in your group. The mentors are second or third year undergraduate students who will have been through the same things as you only a year ago, and they hope to be a useful point of contact when you arrive. For example, your mentor might show your group how to use the library, and they'll be there to answer your questions throughout the year. You'll have the chance to meet with your mentor and group throughout your first term (every fortnight), and they'll help to introduce you to the life of a Nottingham English student. 

Your Year Tutor

They provide additional help and support to each year group of students in the School.  

Senior Tutor

The School’s welfare and support systems are overseen by a senior member of academic staff, the Senior Tutor.  Every School and Department at the University of Nottingham has a Senior Tutor.


Disability Liaison Officer


Personal Tutors can help students with disabilities access professional support via the School’s Disability Liaison Officer (DLO). The DLO is an academic member of staff who is available for students who need teaching and assessment support for any physical or learning disability. The DLO can organise a Disability or Academic Referral Form (DRF/ARF) to complete a report and recommendation of all teaching and assessment needs.

Find out more about disability support


International Students


International students may have slightly different needs, particularly in the early months as they settle into the University.  All international students will be allocated a Personal Tutor who has an understanding of the specific needs of international students and who can offer specific support and can be available for more frequent Personal Tutor meetings initially.

The University has an excellent International student support network


Sources of support and guidance across the University

Student Services provide a range of support, information and specialist services to enhance your student experience.  They form part of a comprehensive network of services at the University, designed to ensure that you have all the support and help you need while you are here. For further information see:


Student Services Centres

You can go to a Student Service Centre (SSC) for advice on:

  • any disability, learning difficulty, or specific support needs that you might have
  • financial support
  • housing
  • money
  • education/University-related queries

There are a number of SSCs around the University, and you can drop into whichever of these is most convenient to you.

A list of SSC locations is here

You can also call them on 0115 74 86500 or send a message via their webpage.


Welfare Officer

 Here to support your wellbeing throughout your time at university

Rebecca Miller 335x220

Rebecca Miller
Room 35.9, Trent Building


There is a dedicated Welfare Officer who works in the Trent Building to support students in the Schools of English and Cultures, Languages and Area Studies. 

Come and talk to Rebecca:

  • with any concerns, emotional or personal difficulties

  • for information on University support services and external services in Nottingham

  • for advice on University policy and process 


Academic Support

Academic Support provides a personal and practical approach to academic study and opportunities for both undergraduate and postgraduate students to develop their learning strategies. It also provides specialist academic support for students with dyslexia, dyspraxia, and other specific learning difficulties. More information about the wide range of academic support and resources available can be found on the website.


Counselling Service

University-counsellor-counselling-a-member-of-staff 714x285

The Counselling Service aims to support students by offering free, confidential, professional help with any personal, emotional or mental health problems they may experience whilst at the University.

Counselling provides an opportunity to talk in confidence about problems that concern you, including anxiety, depression, family issues, bereavement, study related problems, worries about drug and alcohol abuse, physical and/or sexual abuse, eating difficulties and HIV/Aids.

By talking with a counsellor about your problems or concerns, you may deepen your understanding of what is happening and develop alternative ways of dealing with the situation. 

Find out more on Counselling 


Medical and healthcare support


The University of Nottingham Health Service is available to all students and is located in Cripps Healthcare Centre on University Park.

More information can be found here



Nightline (Students' Union), LGBT Student Support and University Chaplains


Nightline (Students' Union)


Nightline is a confidential telephone line run by students for support and information. Nightline operates every night during term time between 7.00pm and 8.00am.

Contact a Nightliner

LGBTnew-fixed 215x106

LGBT+ student support


The Students’ Union has an:

LGBT Network

See also an external organisation:

Notts LGBT+ Network

Chaplaincy 215x134

University Chaplains


Chaplains are there to offer support and advice to all members of the University community: students and staff; Christians and non-Christians.

The Chaplaincy

Information, including local places of worship and Students’ Union Societies, is available on the Students’ Union Chaplaincy website.



School of English

Trent Building
The University of Nottingham
University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5900
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 5924