Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee is a committee of University Executive Board. The Committee has executive responsibility for the development and implementation of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion strategy.
The Committee shall ensure that there is an integrated, proactive approach to equality, diversity and inclusion that meets the University’s public sector equality duties, is informed by sector best practice and supports the achievement of the University’s values and objectives. The Committee recognises both the impact of individual characteristics as well as the role of intersectionality in Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
Without limiting the general responsibilities as described above:
- To develop and review the University’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion strategy and to drive and oversee the University’s commitment to and progress on its delivery.
- To monitor and report on the University’s compliance with equality, diversity and inclusion legislation.
- To plan, review and approve the University’s annual information reporting of relevance to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
- To make recommendations and support University staff and students in implementation of institutional level equality objectives and to monitor progress annually towards achieving these objectives.
- To guide the University’s approach to relevant charter mark activities.
- To make recommendations for sharing best practice across the University.
- To champion diverse representation on all institutional committees.
- To receive and deliver reports and updates to the University Executive Board as required including an annual report.
- To establish and monitor such sub-groups as may be required to deliver specific areas of the Committee’s remit.
- To receive reports and updates from its sub-groups and where relevant from other University Executive Board committees
- Coordinate with parallel activities as required at UNMC and UNNC.
Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Education and Student Experience
Director of Human Resources
Director of Campus Life
nominated by the Students' Union
Five members chosen through the Committee Membership Selection Process
3.2 Chair and Support
The Committee will be convened and chaired by Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. The Secretary will be supplied by Governance and Executive Support.
3.3 Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will meet quarterly and the Chair shall call additional meetings where necessary. The Committee will delegate activity to task-forces and professional service departments as appropriate.
Members of the Committee are not able to nominate a deputy to attend the meeting on their behalf.
A quorum will be half the regular membership plus one.
3.6 Term of Office
The term of office for the members selected by the Committee Membership Selection Group is two years. Some of these members may be reappointed for a further year with the agreement of the Chair in order to maintain an appropriate balance between turnover and experience on the Committee.
The term of office for the representative nominated by the Students' Union is one year.
Other members are ex officio.
3.7 Reporting and Review
The Committee will report regularly to University Executive Board including an annual report which will detail progress in the delivery of the University's Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy. Issues pertinent to the People/Human Resources strategy shall be reported to the People and Human Resources Committee by the Director of Human Resources. Student issues will be communicated to the relevant bodies by the Director of Campus Life.
The EDI Committee will receive annual reports from its sub-groups and including the following:
- each Faculty EDI Group and the Professional Services EDI group
- the Staff Equality and Diversity Committee (SEDC)
- the Student Equality and Diversity Committee
The effectiveness and the membership of the Committee will be reviewed annually.
(ratified at Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee 17.1.19)
Return to Committees list