People and Human Resources Committee
The People and Human Resources Committee is a committee of University Executive Board. The Committee will oversee the development and implementation of the University’s people and employment related mission and strategy ensuring alignment with the University’s strategy.
The Committee will give support to the Director of Human Resources and University Executive Board regarding strategic items of business.
The Committee will request insight, advice and consider suggestions from the People Strategy Committee which is a committee of Council as appropriate. The People Strategy Committee shall provide external challenge to the Committee.
Without limiting the general responsibilities as described above:
- To develop and review the University’s People Strategy and UNUK’s Human Resources strategy.
- To report to University Executive Board on the operational effectiveness of Human Resources and annually on the overall delivery of the People/HR Strategy.
- To ensure that rigorous and transparent employees policies, procedures and systems are in place and are kept under review, including but not limited to recruitment, terms and conditions of employment, induction, pay, pensions, promotion, training, grievances, discipline, capability, performance management framework, employee relations and succession planning.
- To review and develop the University’s approach to the systems for performance management and reward.
- To escalate risk management concerns to Planning and Resource Committee.
- To establish such sub-groups as may be required to deliver specific areas of the Committee’s remit.
- To receive Minutes and reports and updates from its sub-groups.
- To receive from and deliver reports to University Executive Board and People Strategy Committee as required.
3. Delegated Authority
The delegated financial authority of the Committee is £500k or as stated in the Financial Regulations.
A Faculty Pro-Vice-Chancellor
Director of Human Resources
Two Directors of Professional Services
nominated by the Students' Union
Three members selected through the Committee Membership Selection Process
The Deputy Director of Human Resources and the Head of Specialist Services will be in attendance at meetings as appropriate but are not members of the Committee.
4.2 Chair and Support
The Committee will be convened and chaired by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor. The Secretary will be supplied by Governance and Executive Support.
4.3 Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will meet three times a year and the Chair shall call additional meetings where necessary. The Committee shall delegate activity to task-forces and professional service departments as appropriate.
Members of the Committee are not able to nominate a deputy to attend the meeting on their behalf.
A quorum will be half the regular membership plus one.
4.6 Term of Office
The term of office for the members selected by the Committee Membership Selection Group is two years. Some of these members may be reappointed for a further year with the agreement of the Chair in order to maintain an appropriate balance between turnover and experience on the Committee. Other members are ex officio.
4.7 Reporting and Review
The Committee will report to University Executive Board. The effectiveness and the membership of the Committee will be reviewed annually. The Committee will receive reports from the Joint Consultative Committees, the Leadership Management Academic Steering Group and People Strategy Committee.
(ratified at People and Human Resources Committee 5.11.18)
Return to Committees list