Terms of Reference
- To review and develop the University's Research Strategy, in accordance with the University Plan, for approval by Senate.
- To advise University Executive Board on the allocation of resources to deliver the aims and objectives articulated with respect to the University's Strategic Plan.
- To allocate resources on behalf of University Executive Board in support of (1).
- To develop, monitor and review the University's strategic plans for postgraduate research.
- To identify and set grand challenges in relation to key elements of the strategy.
- To monitor the implementation of the strategy and to evaluate its impact
- To monitor internal and external developments and trends, and take account of them in the development of strategy and policies.
- To agree University responses to relevant consultation processes from external bodies.
- To oversee the development of policies necessary for the responsible conduct of research and to monitor their implementation.
- To make regular reports to Senate on its activities and plans.
Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Exchange (Chair): Professor Dame Jessica Corner
APVC for Innovation, Impact and Business Engagement: Professor Herve Morvan
APVC for Graduate School and Research Career Development: Professor Ed Wilding
APVC for Research Strategy and Performance: Dr Richard Masterman
Vice-Provost (Research and Knowledge Transfer), UNNC: Professor Chris Gerada
Vice-Provost (Research and Knowledge Transfer), UNMC: Professor Claire O'Malley
Faculty APVC for Research and Knowledge Transfer, Engineering: Professor Sarah Sharples
Faculty APVC for Research and Knowledge Transfer, Arts: Professor Maiken Umbach
Faculty APVC for Research and Knowledge Transfer, Science: Professor Zoe Wilson
Faculty APVC for Research and Knowledge Transfer, Social Sciences: Professor Andrew Leyshon
Director of Research, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences: Professor Richard Emes
Director of Research and Innovation: Ryan Keyworth
Deputy Chief Information Officer: Alison Clarke
Director of Research and Learning Resources: Caroline Williams
Postgraduate Students' Officer: Yolanda King
Cultures and Communications Global Research Theme: Professor James Moran
Health and Wellbeing Global Research Theme: Professor Vicky Chapman
Sustainable Societies Global Research Theme: Professor Sarah Metcalfe
Transformative Technologies Global Research Theme: Professor Neil Champness
Digital Futures Global Research Theme: Professor Steve Benford
Professor Richard Bowtell (Physics and Astronomy)
Professor Sam Kingman (Engineering)
Professor Marion Walker (Medicine)
Dr Liz French (REGS)
Catherine Jew, Tessa Payne, Jacqui Branch
(membership updated November 2017)
Return to Committees list