The Committee has responsibility for executive oversight of the Research Strategy within the University and ensuring the University is compliant with external requirements related to research including Research England's Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Without limiting the general responsibilities as described above:
- To develop and implement the University's Research Strategy, in accordance with the University Plan.
- To oversee and review the progress being made against the Research Strategy programme plans and KPI's delivered through the Research Strategy Steering Board.
- To allocate resources on behalf of University Executive Board in support of (1) and make reports to Planning and Resources Committee.
- To develop, monitor and review the University's strategic plans for postgraduate research.
- To develop, monitor and review the University's strategic plans for Global Engagement for Research.
- To identify and set grand challenges in relation to key elements of the Research Strategy.
- To monitor the implementation of the Research Strategy and to evaluate its impact
- To monitor internal and external developments and trends, and take account of them in the development of strategy and policies.
- To agree University responses to relevant consultation processes from external bodies.
- To oversee the development of policies necessary for the responsible conduct of research and to monitor their implementation.
- To establish such sub-groups as may be required to deliver specific areas of the Committee's remit.
- To receive reports and updates from the Committee's sub-committees and where relevant from other University Executive Board committees.
- To receive from and deliver reports and updates to University Executive Board and Senate as required.
- To actively consider Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in all decisions made, and, where appropriate, take positive action to ensure that those with protected characteristics or care responsibilities are equally able to participate in activities and initiatives.
3. Delegated Authority
The delegated financial authority of the Committee is £250k or as stated in the Financial Regulations.
Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Exchange
5 Faculty Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellors / Representatives as determined by the Faculty Pro-Vice-Chancellors
3 Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellors for Research and Knowledge Exchange
Vice-Provost from each of UNNC and UNMC
5 Global Research Theme Leads
An early career researcher
Chief Financial Officer
Director of Research and Innovation
Head of Research and Innovation Strategy and Development
nominated by the Students' Union
Three members to be chosen through the Committee Membership Selection Process
4.2 Chair and support
The Committee will be convened and chaired by Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Research and Knowledge Exchange. The Secretary will be supplied by Governance and Executive Support.
4.3 Frequency of meetings
The Committee will meet quarterly and the Chair shall call additional meetings where necessary. The Committee shall delegate activity to sub-groups or committees as appropriate.
Members of the Committee are not able to nominate a deputy to attend the meeting on their behalf.
A quorum will be half the regular membership plus one.
4.6 Terms of Office
The term of office for the members selected by the Committee Membership Selection Group is two years. Some of these members may be reappointed for a further year with the agreement of the Chair in order to maintain an appropriate balance between turnover and experience on the Committee. The term of office for the representative nominated by the Students' Union is one year. Other member are ex officio.
4.7 Reporting and Review
The Committee will report to University Executive Board and Senate as required. The effectiveness and the membership of the Committee will be reviewed annually.
The following groups will report into the Committee as required:
- Research Strategy Steering Board
- REF Steering Group
- Facilities and Equipment Management Committee
(version ratified at Research Committee 9.10.18)
Return to Committees list