Our broad and comprehensive range of training courses help our research staff and eligible students to develop vital transferable skills in these key areas.
We also offer a range of different ways for you to gain these skills;
All of the Graduate School’s training provision for researchers is mapped against the Researcher Development Framework (RDF) which outlines the key areas that all researchers need to develop.
Thesis Bootcamp –
One of many different sessions for research students run by our Research Training & Development staff.
The Researcher Development Programme
Our Researcher development courses are free for all postgraduate researchers (including a few eligible MA and MSc courses) and research staff.
Our Training Courses Guide shows which courses are most relevant for you in terms of where you are in your programme of study: early, mid or late stage.
The Graduate School's writing provision map also provides useful information on additional writing skills support sessions provided outside your school.
The Researcher Development Framework
The Researcher Development Framework (RDF) developed by Vitae describes the knowledge, behaviours and attributes of successful researchers.
Split into four domains, across 12 subdomains and 63 descriptors, the RDF helps researchers to:
- explore all the aspects of being a researcher
- identify their strengths
- prioritise areas for professional development
- write a plan, then monitor progress and success
- have productive discussions with others, e.g. supervisors, PIs, careers advisors or other professional development providers
- look for formal and informal development opportunities
- prepare for one-to-one progress reviews, appraisals or career development conversations with supervisors, research managers or mentors.
Vitae is the UK organisation championing the personal, professional and career development of doctoral researchers and research staff in higher education.
The Vitae ‘researcher booklets’ offer practical information to researchers about different topics in support of their personal, professional and career development.