- Professional credibility and breadth of knowledge of continuing professional development.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to work effectively as a member of a team as well as independently.
- Well-developed analytical skills and report writing.
- Proactive lecturer supporting adult learners at a distance.
- Current experience as a practising midwife in a variety of settings.
- Proven excellence as an educationalist with particular expertise in normal midwifery and distance education.
- Ability to proactively support students with different learning needs, motivational, and expertise in pastoral care
- Up to date knowledge of continuing professional development for health care professionals.
- Ability to analyse, critique and respond to the current agenda and its application to the midwifery profession.
- Ability to participate and function in a multi-disciplinary setting.
- Computer literate with an interest in information technology and management and its application to open education resources.
- Professional and recordable midwifery teaching qualification.
- MA in Distance Education.
- Doctor of Health Science programme commenced September 2013.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate at all levels.
- Liaison and collaborative skills.
- Accessible writing style.
- Highly motivated.
- Commitment, energy and drive.
- Excellent time management.
1981 Nursing Officer Midwifery PMRAFNS
1985 Community Midwife British Forces Germany
1986 Community Midwife UK
1987 Advanced Diploma in Midwifery
1988 Midwifery Sister
1988 Post Graduate Certificate in the Education of Adults
1989 Midwife Teacher Grade 2
1993 Assistant Director of Midwifery Education
1994 Independent Midwife Teacher (Distance Learning)
1994 BSc (Hons) / Diploma in Applied Social Sciences
1995 Midwife Saudi Arabia
1996 Nursing Programme Director / Registrar - Distance Education Courses,
1998 Part-time Midwifery Lecturer
1998 Professional Development Programme Co-ordinator
Royal College of Midwives Trust
- Associate Lecturer Open University
Bank Midwife, Peterborough NHS Trust
2001 Academic Director of Health Care Programmes and Continuing Education
(Ladies section), Saudi Arabia)
2003 Education & Training Consultant, The Open University
2004 Associate Lecturer, The Open University
2006 Senior Lecturer in Midwifery, De Montfort University, Leicester
2007 Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
2011 SCORE Fellow - The Open University/MORE Project Lead
2012 Commenced Professional Doctorate
Open and Distance Education
Open Education Resources
Doctorate in Education.
Researching resilience in midwifery to determine whether it develops or not over the first eightnee months of a pre-registration midwifery programme.
Scheduled to submit thesis November 2018.
2017. Adding to the midwifery curriculum through internalisation and the promotion of global mobility British Journal of Midwifery. 25(3), 184-188
2016. Navigating the Midwifery Undergraduate Programme: Is resilience the key? British Journal of Midwifery. 24(11), 2-10
2016. Flipped learning: Are we throwing the baby out with the bath water? MIDIRS. December,
Flipped Learning and Midwifery Education - are we throwing the baby out with the bathwater?: Proceedings of the 1st Annual Higher education Flipped Learning conference Greeley Colorado Overmeyr, J. Yestness, N. (Eds).