Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange)


The government authorised exchange category is for people coming to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice, and to experience the social and cultural life of the UK.  This category must not be used to fill job vacancies or to bring unskilled labour to the UK.

The University of Nottingham is licensed to issue Certificates of Sponsorship under Tier 5 to employ sponsored researchers.

Any work you do must be skilled which means it must be equivalent to NVQ or SVQ level 3 or above.

You are allowed to stay in the United Kingdom for up to 24 months under this category.

Migrant workers looking to use this scheme must have appropriate external funding which meets the National Minimum Wage in the UK.

UKVI Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) Policy


Useful Tools




If you wish to apply for Tier 5, please note that the HR Department as sponsor needs to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship in the first instance.  Please complete the online application form above.

Please remember to forward to the HR Staff Immigration Team any additional documents in support of the application.



Last edited Aug 16, 2016