Careers - Classics and Archaeology
* Known destinations of full-time home first-degree graduates in 2014/15.
Employers talk about the skills Arts students can gain from studying a subject that they love and how these can benefit them in the future.
During my degree I was able to practise illustration and learn graphic design thanks to various modules, the Digital Humanities Centre, and the incredible resources available within the department. The ability to research new ideas and generate quick analysis, produce creative material, manage multiple deadlines and resources, liaise with clients and operate various applications all originated from my time studying archaeology at Nottingham.
Luke Taylor, BA Archaeology, creative content producer for McCann
Our graduates go on to many different careers including:
- Conservation and Heritage
- Primary and Secondary Teaching
- Accountancy and Business
- Archaeological Project Officer
- Public Relations
- University Research
- Civil service
- Human Resources
Skills from our degrees
As well as your wide-ranging education in classics or archaeology, our degrees will equip you with key transferable skills which are highly valued across many sectors, including the ability to:
- Critically analyse and interpret different kinds of evidence
- Distill and evaluate information and data
- Apply theoretical and scientific principles to problems
- Develop an idea and build a convincing argument
- Communicate clearly and persuasively in written, oral and visual media
- Work in a team and independently
- Develop reflective and thoughtful approaches to cultural difference
- Combine disciplined study with creative responses
- Develop wide-ranging numerical, IT and analytical skills
See what some of our ex-students say about their time here:
The independent view
We’re consistently one of the top choices for graduate recruitment among UK employers in the annual High Fliers report.
Careers and employability advice
We offer specialist advice from subject-specific careers experts.
Careers and Employability Service
We help you gain valuable skills and enhance your CV while you study.
Our students have a passion for researching and interpreting the past, and many of them wish to pursue further postgraduate degrees in either Classics or Archaeology.