Department of Music

Frequently Asked Questions

Please find some frequently asked questions below.

We hope that these will answer your query, but if you are still unsure, please contact us at

Can anyone from the department play at my event?
Can non-music students use the practice rooms?

There are a variety of practice rooms available in the Department of Music that students are able to use. Music students take priority and are able to book rooms, but non-music students may use unbooked and empty rooms in the department between 8am and 5.30pm on weekdays.

Can non-music students or members of the public sign up for instrumental tuition?

Students registered on music performance modules can receive lessons from our tutors. It is, however, possible to pay privately for lessons.

You are welcome to contact our instrumental or voice tutors to check if they would be available to offer private lessons. Their contact details can be found on the “performance” noticeboard by the music building office on the ground floor.

Can I advertise my music event/job to music students and academics?

Please email your advert as a poster (A4 or smaller) to and we will display this in the department if appropriate. If you would like to send a hard copy, please post it to:

Music department office
Arts Centre
University Park

Can you send around my call for papers?

Please send all calls for papers to student services who will circulate these if appropriate.

Is it possible to hire venues in the Arts Centre?

It is possible to hire our venues for a fee. For further information, and to get a quote for the hiring of any of the Arts Centre venues, please email

How can I get involved with music at the University of Nottingham?

All of our performance opportunities can be found on our performances page. If you are a student, you might also be interested in contacting one of the student societies, listed in question one above.

Can I use the facilities within the department?

There are practice rooms within the Arts Centre available to all staff and students at the University. Priority will go to music students who should email Student Services to book a slot in one of the rooms.

What performances are happening in the department?

The department runs recitals and lunchtime concerts. Our upcoming lunchtime concerts are listed here, and recitals here.

How do I find out about music courses at the University of Nottingham?

Please direct course or admissions enquiries to or

Alternatively, see our online undergraduate prospectus or postgraduate prospectus and send enquiries through our online enquiries form.

Can I borrow instruments from the department?

Instruments at the University are only for the use of staff, students and established partners and collaborators. If you fall into one of these categories and would like further information, please email

How many performance lessons do music students receive?

Students on performance modules receive 16 hours of one-to-one tuition in the first year, 18 hours in the second year, and 20 hours in the third year. Any further tuition, such as on a second instrument, needs to be paid for privately. 

What kind of performance do you do other than classical?

We have students studying electric guitar, folk fiddle, musical theatre and a variety of less conventional instruments. We teach all types of music. 



Department of Music

The University of Nottingham
Lakeside Arts Centre
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

Admission enquiries
All other enquiries
Telephone: +44 (0)115 951 5841