Applying from overseas

Frequently Asked Questions


I have received my offer of employment, conditional on “proof that you have obtained an appropriate visa by the time of the proposed start date of your employment”, what do I need to do?
Probably nothing at this stage, although you may be contacted if there is some information we need that wasn’t produced during the recruitment process.  We do ask people to bring their passport to interview as this can speed up the process of sponsorship, as well as establish your identity.


What information will I need to provide?
To issue a sponsorship we need to have a copy of the personal details section of your passport and if you are already in the UK, a copy of your current visa; qualification certificates are also required.


Once I have my sponsorship number, how do I get my visa?

This depends on whether or not you are in the UK when you apply for your visa.

If you are already in the UK, you should go to the UK Visa and Immigration web pages on working in the UK. There you will find an application form to apply for a Tier 2 visa.  You should complete this, using the sponsorship number that we have issued to you.  Make sure that you include the appropriate fee.

If you are not in the UK at the time of application, you should go to the UK Visa and Immigration web pages on applying from outside the UK.  You will also need to arrange to give your biometrics; usually these are taken at the visa application centre in your country/region.



What else do I need to know?

It is illegal for you to start work without a visa that gives you permission to work; therefore, it is extremely important to keep in touch with us and make us aware of any possible delays, change of circumstances or any factors which may affect the kind of visa that you may be planning to enter and work in the UK or delay it.

As an A rated sponsor, we are able to provide a guarantee letter for the maintenance element of the sponsorship.  Please remember to ask for this from us if it would help your visa application.



What do I need to do when I start working at the University?
Once you are employed, as a sponsored migrant you have a responsibility to ensure that you keep the University informed of your contact details and of any changes to your personal circumstances which may affect your visa.


Who can I contact if I need advice on immigration matters?
The main source of information on immigration requirements are the UK Visas and Immigration web pages. You should contact the Recruitment Team within HR at the University if you have a query regarding a post that you have been offered at the University. Unfortunately, we are not immigration specialists/advisors and can only help with our own sponsored migrants.


What are Biometrics?

Biometrics are the unique physical characteristics that can be used to identify you, such as facial images and fingerprints.  You will need to have your 10 digit finger scans recorded, and provide a digital photograph, when applying for a visa to come or stay in the United Kingdom.  There are a few exceptions, such as heads of state.



Where can I find information about Tier 2 dependant applications?
See the UK Visas and Immigrations web site's section on applications by dependants.


Can I switch into Tier 2 from the Tier 4 Doctoral Extension Scheme category?

Yes, you can switch into Tier 2 from the Tier 4 Doctoral Extension Scheme category.



What are the sponsor’s responsibilities during my employment?
  • Reporting any unauthorised absence : unauthorised absence does not include authorised annual leave, sickness absence which has been appropriately reported through the University’s sick absence reporting procedure, or any other leave (such as compassionate, parental, maternity, study etc) authorised under a University process.  You should ensure that you are aware of the process for reporting all forms of leave, including annual leave.  Therefore, it is very important that you comply with the appropriate leave procedures, as we may have to report your unauthorised absence to the UKVI.
  • Annual check of eligibility to work in the UK : The University is required to formally check your eligibility on an annual basis.  You will be contacted by HR should we need any further information.


What does “No recourse to public funds” mean?
More detailed information on public funds can be found in the leaflet “No recourse to public funds - what does it mean?”, which is available on the UKVI web site.



Human Resources Department

The University of Nottingham
King's Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 846 7388