Applying from overseas

Other Routes

Most overseas workers gain eligibility to work at The University of Nottingham through the Tier 2 (Sponsored Skilled Worker) route.  However, there may be other routes available to you, depending on your circumstances.

Tier 1 (Highly Skilled Worker)

Please note that with effect from 6 April 2015, Tier 1 (General) will close and applications to extend leave will no longer be accepted. Applicants who are currently in the UK and who wish to apply to extend their stay must submit an application on or before 5 April 2015 (if appropriate). Further information is available at:

Tier 4 (Student Visa)

If you want to work in the UK whilst studying and you have a valid Student Visa, see: for further information.

Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)

The new Tier 1 (Exceptional talent) category of the points-based system is for people who are recognised or have the potential to be recognised as leaders in the fields of science, arts and humanities.

Tier 1 Entrepreneur

The Tier 1 Entrepreneur category of the points-based system is for people who want to set up or run a business in the UK and have at least £50,000 investment funds to apply.

Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur

The Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur category of the points-based system is for graduates who have been officially endorsed as having a genuine and credible businesss idea. Applicants for this category must be endorsed by either UK Trade and Investment as part of the elite global graduate entrepreneur programme, or by the current UK higher education institution if it's an authorised endorsing body.


Human Resources Department

The University of Nottingham
King's Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 846 7388