PhD Studentship: EPSRC Future Composites Manufacturing Research Hub
- Closing Date
- Wednesday, 3rd July 2019
Supervisors: Prof Nick Warrior, Dr Thomas Turner, Dr Michael Johnson or Dr Lee Harper, depending on the research topic.
Applications are invited for funded PhD studentships in the Composites Research Group at the University of Nottingham. There are currently 4 positions available, which are being funded by the EPSRC Future Composites Manufacturing Research Hub, a £10.3m investment in fundamental research that aims to deliver a step change in the production of polymer matrix composites. Each student will support an industrially-relevant research project, working alongside 9 other Hub member universities, 4 High Value Manufacturing Catapult Centres and a network of industrial partners from across the composites sector, including Bentley Motors, Aston Martin, Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Hexcel.
We believe that diverse teams deliver the highest quality research, so we are seeking applications from high quality individuals whose backgrounds, experience and identity broadens and enhances the diversity of our existing team. Students will work on a project related to one of the Hub’s research priority areas:
- High rate deposition and rapid processing technologies
- Design for manufacture via validated simulation
- Manufacturing for multifunctional composites and integrated structures
- Inspection and in-process evaluation
- Recycling and re-use
Applicants should indicate on the application form if there is a preference for a practical laboratory-based project, or a computational modelling project. Your choice should be supported by evidence of previous experience, either from working on undergraduate projects or an industrial work placement. Examples of existing projects can be found on our website www.cimcomp.ac.uk
This is an exciting opportunity for talented individuals with a first-class or upper second-class Honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, such as engineering, material science or physics. Applicants should be self-motivated and capable of working under pressure to meet deliverables. They should also have good communication skills for regular interaction with other Hub stakeholders.
Successful applicants will be based at Nottingham and will:
- Work directly with leading academics and industrial partners from the composites supply chain, including leading UK aerospace and automotive companies, offering excellent career opportunities following graduation
- Have the opportunity to undertake a 3 month secondment with an industrial partner or one of the supporting High Value Manufacturing Catapult centres
- Have the opportunity to spend up to 3 months visiting one of 23 international research institutions, via the International Researcher Network
- Have access to industry-relevant taught modules delivered by the Industrial Doctorate Centre (IDC) in Composites Manufacture at the University of Bristol
- Receive a travel and consumable allowance to support the research project
- Have access to world-leading facilities and a well-founded composites laboratory
Successful applicants will receive a tax free bursary of up to £19,000 p.a. (equivalent to £23,000 gross p.a.) and tuition fees for three years, subject to satisfactory research progress. This funding is for UK and EU applicants only. Candidates should be available to start on 1st July 2019 or 1st October 2019 or January 2020.
How to apply:
To apply for a research studentship, please complete the online application form, applications will remain open until filled.
For further information please contact: email@example.com.
Applications sent to this address will not be accepted.