Research Associate/Fellow in Polymer Composites (fixed term)
- Closing Date
- Wednesday, 31st October 2018
- Job Type
- £27025 to £39609 per annum, (pro rata if applicable) depending on skills and experience (minimum £30395 with relevant PhD). Salary progression beyond this scale is subject to performance
Applications are invited for the post of Platform Fellow in Composites Manufacturing, to work in the Composites Research Group at the University of Nottingham. This post is funded by the EPSRC Future Composites Manufacturing Research Hub, a £10.3m investment in fundamental research that aims to deliver a step change in the production of polymer matrix composites. The Platform Fellow will lead industrially-relevant research projects, working alongside the other 9 Hub member universities, 4 High Value Manufacturing Catapult Centres and network of industrial partners from across the composites sector. www.cimcomp.ac.uk
The successful applicant will have a national and growing international reputation and be active in research in the field of composites manufacturing to complement existing activities in the Hub. Specifically the applicants will be expert and active in manufacturing research applicable to demanding applications within the aerospace and/or automotive sectors. Areas of interest to the Group are automated composite forming and liquid composite moulding to support two of the Hub’s five key research themes; “high rate deposition and rapid processing technologies” and/or “design for manufacture via validated simulation”.
We believe that diverse teams will deliver the highest quality research, so we are seeking applications from high quality individuals whose backgrounds, experience and identity broadens and enhances the diversity of our existing team. We are looking for someone who can:
- Develop and sustain an ongoing reputation as a research leader in composites manufacturing
- Publish research results in leading high quality internationally recognised peer-reviewed journals
- Communicate effectively with key stakeholders to capture synergies across the Hub, focusing on transitioning knowledge and other outputs to drive impact
- Provide academic and organisational leadership to those working/studying in Nottingham’s Composites Research Group
- Collaborate widely, contributing to the development of research strategies and income for the Composites Research Group
Successful applicants will be based at Nottingham and will:
- Work directly with leading academics and industrial partners from the composites supply chain, including leading UK aerospace and automotive companies
- Have the opportunity to gain valuable industrial experience by undertaking a secondment with one of our industrial partners or High Value Manufacturing Catapult centres
- Have the opportunity to collaborate with other world-leading academics by spending time at a member of the Hub’s International Researcher Network
- Receive a travel and consumable allowance to support the research project and the applicant’s career development
This is a full time, fixed term post for 2 years. Job share arrangements may be considered.
Informal enquiries may be addressed by email to Dr Lee Harper, Manager of the EPSRC Future Composites Manufacturing Research Hub, on +44 (0)115 9513823 or email@example.com. Please note that applications sent directly to this email address will not be accepted.
The University of Nottingham is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.