Assistant/Associate Professor in Pure Mathematics
- Closing Date
- Thursday, 3rd February 2022
- Job Type
- Research & Teaching
- Mathematical Sciences
- £37467 to £63668 per annum (pro-rata if applicable) depending on skills and experience. Salary progression beyond this scale is subject to performance.
Starting salary for Associate Professor £53348 per annum
We are looking for an Assistant Professor or Associate Professor to deliver high quality teaching and undertake original research of international excellence in Pure Mathematics, complementing and enhancing the current activity of the Pure Mathematics Section. The School of Mathematical Sciences was ranked in the top ten for both research power and grade point average in the Mathematical Sciences in REF 2014. The highly research active and growing Pure Mathematics Section comprises 15 permanent academic staff. The Section has research strengths in the broad areas of algebra, analysis, computational algebra, geometry, and number theory. We welcome applications from excellent candidates in any area of pure mathematics.
We believe that talented and inclusive teams deliver the highest quality research and are seeking applications from high quality candidates who enhance the diversity of our existing team. The School is committed to creating opportunities for people traditionally under-represented in Mathematical Sciences and strives to maintain an environment where people can be their authentic selves.
You will be able to carry out duties to the highest standard and to evidence how, through your experience, you will:
- Plan and deliver high quality teaching on undergraduate and MSc pure mathematics modules including via distance learning;
- Provide curriculum development within your own area of expertise and collaborate with colleagues to design courses and/or programmes;
- Develop research proposals to attract funding from Research Councils, Industry and other sources;
- Have a proven track-record in publishing research work of international quality in pure mathematics or a related area;
- Contribute to the dissemination of research outputs at national/international conferences, workshops, and meetings.
We are looking for a proactive, organised appointee who can evidence:
- A PhD, or equivalent in pure mathematics or a relevant field;
- Excellent communication and organisational skills;
- Good pedagogical skills required to teach a range of pure mathematics (including service) modules;
- Proven track-record in publishing research work of international quality in pure mathematics.
For appointments at the Associate Professor level, it is envisaged that, in addition to the above, you will have a substantial track record in the following areas:
- Proven ability to provide strategic research leadership within areas of expertise;
- Secured research funding from Research Councils, industry and other funding sources;
- Demonstrated success in delivering teaching within an agreed quality framework.
This is a permanent full-time position, (36.25 hours per week) available from 01 September 2022, part-time working (minimum 21.75 hours per week) and job share arrangements may be considered. Many of our team have flexible working patterns so we’re open to discuss flexible working arrangements with you.
If it sounds like you would be a good fit, we look forward to hearing from you.
Interviews will take place w/c 28 February 2022.
For information about the School of Mathematical Sciences see: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mathematics/index.aspx
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr Alexander Kasprzyk (Head of Pure Mathematics Section) email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that applications sent directly to this email address will not be accepted.
Our University has always been a supportive, inclusive, caring and positive community. We warmly welcome those of different cultures, ethnicities and beliefs – indeed this very diversity is vital to our success, it is fundamental to our values and enriches life on campus. We welcome applications from UK, Europe and from across the globe. For more information on the support we offer our international colleagues, see our Moving to Nottingham pages.
For successful international applicants, we provide financial support for your visa and the immigration health surcharge, plus an interest-free loan to help cover the cost of immigration-related expenses for any dependants accompanying you to the UK. For more information please see the our webpage on Financial support for visas and the immigration health surcharge.