School of Mathematical Sciences


Below are the answers to some questions we are asked regularly.

Is it possible to supplement my income by helping with teaching?
Many of our research students help with problem classes, give demonstrations and mark coursework, usually for a few hours each week. Payment is £11.54 per hour. The work is much appreciated and gives useful experience but is not compulsory.
I am applying for a PhD. Do I need to submit a detailed research proposal?
You do not need to submit a detailed proposal. A few key words indicating your areas of interest will suffice. Alternatively you could cite the projects from our research section that you are interested in.
I am having problems completing my application online. Whom do I contact?
The on-line system is maintained by the Admissions Office. Please contact them for further information following the links given on their webpage. For any course related enquiries contact
How long will the University take to process my application?
This can vary depending on the time of year, but it usually takes two to four weeks from the time we receive your application form and supporting documentation.
When should I apply?
Applications for research degrees are welcome at any time but early applications are encouraged. International students who plan to apply for scholarships offered by The University of Nottingham are advised to apply by early February.
How do I apply?
All of the information on how to apply is on the how to apply page but please email if you have any questions.
Do you hold interviews?
Students resident in the UK are usually asked to attend an interview. We often conduct interviews for students outside the UK by telephone or skype.
Do I need an English language qualification?

Please see the online prospectus for details about English language requirements. 

Do I need an English Language qualification before I apply?
It is not necessary to obtain an English Language qualification before you submit an application to study with us. If your application is successful, English Language qualifications will be part of the conditions of your offer. You will need to provide proof that you have obtained the qualifications before you register with us as a student and commence your research.
When can I start my studies?
Normally, research degrees begin in September, although it is possible to start at other times of the year by mutual agreement with your supervisor.
Do I need to apply separately for School/University of Nottingham funding?
British and European Union students will be considered for studentships. It is not necessary to make a separate application.

International students need to make a separate application for scholarships. To apply for scholarships offered by the University, it is necessary to be holding an offer of a place on our full-time research degree programme before you can apply.
How is funding allocated?
Studentships (based on UK/EU fees) are assigned to the best applicants. Applications are considered as soon as possible and some funded offers are made soon after interview. Others may not be allocated until Spring.

Applications for international scholarships are considered by a school panel after the scholarship closing date. Scholarships are awarded on merit. 

School of Mathematical Sciences

The University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

For all enquiries please visit: