Short course: Fundamentals of Clinical Trials
19 - 23 March 2018
The course introduces the key considerations when designing and conducting a randomised clinical trial. It is split into two modules; Module 1 - Trial Design ( 3 days) and Module 2 - Trial Management ( 2 days).
Module 1 will discuss why clinical trials are necessary, how different kinds of trials are designed and how bias can be minimised, and how trials are analysed, interpreted and reported. Module 2 will consider the conduct and management of both drug and complex intervention trials.
The course will not consider non-randomised trials or other observational designs, or trials evaluating diagnostic tests.
You can choose to attend just one module or both. If you wish to attend Module 2 only, you will need to have an understanding of trial design to the level that is covered during Module 1.
Please note: The Booking page is now closed, please email email@example.com if you are interested in attending the course as we are operating a waiting list system and will let you know if and when a place becomes available.
By the end of Module 1 - trial design, participants should:
- understand when and why randomised controlled trials are necessary
- understand and evaluate methods to minimise bias in the design and conduct of randomised controlled trials
- be aware what information is required in order to estimate the size of a trial and of appropriate statistical methods to analyse the data
- be able to participate in the design of a randomised clinical trial
- know how to report a clinical trial
By the end of Module 2 - trial management, participants should:
- understand when and which approvals and regulations are needed in clinical trials
- have an understanding of a clinical trial protocol and other trial documentation
- have an understanding of factors to consider when undertaking a multi-centre clinical trial
- be aware of trial safety and requirements for clinical trials involving medicinal products
- have an understanding of risk assessment, data collection and monitoring of trial data
The course will comprise of lectures, workshops and discussion.
Is this course for you?
The course is intended for anyone seeking an introductory course on randomised controlled trials, and who is likely to be involved in the design, conduct and mangement, analysis, reporting or review of clinical trials. For those attending only Module 2 of the course, you will need to have an understanding of all topics covered during Module 1.
All sessions on the course will be led by experienced staff from the Nottingham Clinical Trials Unit
, and there will be several key note speakers who are highly experienced trialists.
Early bird rate
If you book before the 31st December 2017 you will be entitled to the Early Bird rate, costs as follows:
- £600 for all 5 days (Module 1 and 2)
- £360 for Module 1
- £240 for Module 2
Any bookings made from 1st January 2018 will be charged as follows:
- £800 for 5 days (Module 1 and 2)
- £480 for Module 1
- £320 for Module 2
What does the course include?
Course materials will be provided in delegate packs.
Light refreshments will be provided in the morning before the course begins and for morning and afternoon breaks. A buffet lunch will also be provided.
Feedback from previous delegates
All lectures were delivered well. Overall a good course and I would recommend to my colleagues.
Overall I would thank you for an excellent course that covered a huge amount of material but in an accessible way and I left knowing more than when I started.
The organisation and course manual was excellent. A really enjoyable course which I would happily recommend to other researchers.
Well put together and good value.
Terms and Conditions
In the event that you need to cancel your booking we ask that you give as much notice as possible. Participants cancelling more than two weeks before the start of the course will be eligible for a full refund, after that time you will be charged the full course fee. In the unlikely event that the short course has to be cancelled, our liability is limited to course fees only. We recommend that delegates have adequate cover to reclaim any travel or accommodation expenses.
If you need to cancel or for further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 0115 8231600.