The school has consistently achieved high ratings in independent assessments of teaching and research:
- The school is ranked the no.1 research environment in the UK (for agriculture, veterinary and food science) in the 2014 REF results (Research Excellence Framework). 97% of our work (in the Schools of Biosciences and Veterinary Medicine and Science) was judged to be of international quality.
- the majority of our staff are involved in research, much of which is of a national and international level standing.
- We have extensive links with companies and institutions working in the field of biosciences nationally and internationally, helping ensure our courses are relevant to industry.
The school undertakes research and teaching in diverse issues such as:
- global food security
- environment and its protection
- growth, development and reproduction of plants, animals and microbes
- production and preservation of agricultural and food commodities
- food quality, health, nutrition and safety
The school offers a wide range of taught postgraduate MSc, PGDip courses and PGCert courses. Named MRes degrees also have a significant subject specific taught element.
The school benefits from state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities dedicated to the study of biosciences, including purpose-built plant, food science and bio-energy buildings, many specialised laboratories, a 24-hour learning resource centre, university farm and dairy centre.
Some of our degree programmes offer the opportunity to study at the University's Malaysia Campus.
The school is based on the Sutton Bonington Campus, a self-contained site only 20km south of Nottingham. The campus has its own accommodation, sports centre, social amenities and state-of the art teaching and research facilities dedicated to the study of biosciences.
The campus is also the location of the School of Veterinary Medicine and Science. Altogether there are some 2,000 students on campus, undergraduate and postgraduate, from over 30 countries.
Sutton Bonington is an easy bus or car journey to University Park Campus and on to Nottingham City, with free bus service connections between campuses. Two other major UK cities, Derby and Leicester are nearby. East Midlands International Airport is 7km away, plus there are fast rail links to London close by.
The University of Nottingham is consistently named as one of the most targeted universities by Britain’s leading graduate employers.
(The Graduate Market 2013-2016, High Fliers Research.)