The Department of Civil Engineering’s teaching is informed by our strength in research and links with industry, ensuring that what you learn is relevant and meaningful.
We offer a range of courses from a general MSc in Civil Engineering, with a choice of modules so you can tailor the course to suit your interests or future career, to more specialist courses suiting expertise within the department.
- Our postgraduate taught courses include a research project, giving you the opportunity to work on technologies that contribute to improvements in infrastructure all over the world
- Regularly ranked in the UK top 10 for Civil and Structural Engineering (QS World University Rankings 2019)
- Many of our courses are accredited or offer chartered engineer (CEng) accreditation for those who already have an accredited CEng (Partial) BEng (Hons) undergraduate first degree.
Our laboratory facilities include:
- Strong floor for structural testing
- Largest road material testing facility in the UK
- Large centrifuge for geotechnical research and teaching
- Extensive hydraulics laboratory
- Surveying and advanced laser scanning equipment
- Atmospheric boundary layer wind tunnel
- Soil and rock mechanics laboratories
- Nottingham Geospatial Institute (NGI) with research facilities in satellite navigation and positioning systems, photogrammetry, remote sensing, sensor integration and geographical information science
- The Nottingham Transportation Engineering Centre (NTEC) is housed in the Pavement Research Building, and undertakes research and development in all areas of pavement engineering; design, performance, maintenance and materials
Careers and employability
- The University of Nottingham is consistently named as one of the most targeted universities by Britain’s leading graduate employers (The Graduate Market 2013-2019, High Fliers Research) and can offer you a head-start when it comes to your career.
Our award-winning careers service offers support for students within the Faculty of Engineering, offering advice, skills workshops, employer presentations, drop-in sessions and recruitment fairs.
The team have specialised knowledge of career fields popular with engineering students, and the expertise to guide you through choices and recruitment practices, to help improve your employability.
Scholarships and funding