The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering has a practical, industrial-focused approach, and can help equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to move into postgraduate research or pursue a career in engineering anywhere in the world.
- Many of courses are accredited by professional bodies
- Top 10 for Electrical and Electronic Engineering in the UK (QS World Rankings 2017)
- A company founded on research carried out in the department, Monica Healthcare Ltd, has won an International Business Award
- The department hosts one of the largest power electronics research group in the UK
We carry out fundamental studies into enabling technologies, and applied research in partnership with a range of companies, which informs our teaching.
Our globally recognised research gives you the opportunity to undertake live, innovative projects. Student projects have ranged from studies which establish new scientific principles and technological possibilities, to near-market developments in close collaboration with industry.
Many of our projects are multidisciplinary, carried out in collaboration with mechanical engineering, the physical sciences, biosciences and medicine, with our students working closely with researchers in area such as energy conversion, aerospace and biomedicine.
- Laser and ultrasonic laboratories with multiple optical benches
- Optical and electronic test and measurement equipment
- VLSI (Very-Large-Scale Integration) and FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) design facilities
- GTEM (GigaHertz Transverse Electromagnetic) cell
- Optical material evaluation systems
- Anechoic chamber
- Photoluminescence and characterisation laboratories
- Three-phase power and electronic drives laboratory
- Test facilities for high-speed electrical machines and smart grid equipment
Careers and employability
- Nottingham named the best university in the UK for graduate employment for 2017, by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide
- Nottingham ranked as the second most targeted university by the Times Top 100 Employers, according to High Fliers research in 2015 and 2016, and number one in 2014
Our award-winning careers service offers support for students within the Faculty of Engineering, offering advice, skills workshops, employer presentations, drop-in sessions and recruitment fairs.
The team have specialised knowledge of career fields popular with engineering students, and the expertise to guide you through choices and recruitment practices, to help improve your employability.
Scholarships and funding