Excellence and achievement in research and teaching are our priorities. Our chief research strengths lie in international relations and security, British and comparative politics, and political theory.
We have a strong interest in issues such as globalisation and global governance, and encourage collaborative work through our centres and institutes.
Politics and international relations research areas include:
- Asia and Pacific studies
- British politics
- China's governance and politics
- comparative politics
- conflict, security and terrorism
- international relations
- political ideologies
- political theory
- social and global justice
- social science research methodology
Midlands Graduate School
Nottingham is part of the Midlands Graduate School ESRC Doctoral Training Partnership, which offers funding opportunities for postgraduate students each year.
- Top 100 worldwide for politics and international relations in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018
- Committed to excellence in teaching, having won 13 Higher Education Academy awards
- Expert academics who contribute to public debate through national and international media, including appearing on BBC TV, BBC Radio 4, the BBC World Service and in such publications as The Guardian, The New York Times and Le Monde