List of Volumes
The published volumes of the Survey are listed below. Practically all are in print. Single volumes are priced at £40 (members) and £45 (non-members); postage and packing is £3.50 in the UK, £5.00 elsewhere.
For full details please contact:
Mrs Christine Hickling
School of English
University of Nottingham
Tel: 0115 951 5919
Published Survey Volumes of The English Place-Name Society.
FLASH SALE! Celebration of 50 years of the English Place-Name Society in Nottingham
To celebrate 50 years of the EPNS in Nottingham, many EPNS publications are available, for a limited time only, for as little as £5 when bought directly from the Society. Please contact us using the details above, providing a list of any publications you are interested in purchasing, and quoting the offer code "EPNS50".
Volume I: Introduction & Chief Elements
by A. Mawer and F. M. Stenton.
First published (in two Parts) 1924, now bound in one Volume.
The first Part, Introduction to the Survey, edited by Allen Mawer and F. M. Stenton, contains contributions by: W. J. Sedgefield, on methods of place‑name study; Eilert Ekwall, on the Celtic element in English place‑names and on the Scandinavian element; F. M. Stenton, on the English element and on personal names occurring in place‑names; R. E. Zachrisson, on the French element; O. G. S. Crawford, on place‑names and archaeology; H. C. Wyld and Mary Serjeantson, on the relation of place‑names to linguistic studies; and James Tait, on the feudal element in English place‑names.
The second Part, Chief Elements Used in English Place‑Names, edited by Allen Mawer, was later superseded by Volumes XXV and XXVI. Its importance as a pioneering work is recognized by later editors, not least by those currently engaged in research on The Vocabulary of English Place‑Names.
ISBN: 0 904889 19 X xxii + 270 pp.
Volume II. The Place Names of Buckinghamshire
by Allen Mawer and F. M. Stenton. First published 1925
The arrangement of the contents in the Buckinghamshire volume established the pattern broadly followed in subsequent volumes (as far as Vol. IX), including an additional index of places outside the county mentioned in the text.
ISBN: 0 904889 49 1 xxxii + 274 pp. 2 maps.
Volume III. The Place-Names of Bedfordshire & Huntingdonshire
by Allen Mawer and F. M. Stenton. First published 1926
Each of the two counties in this volume is provided with a separate Glossary, Distribution List of Elements, and Index, but the section on Field‑Names and Minor Names includes items from both counties. For each county a separate map is provided, showing hundred and parish boundaries. The 1974 reorganization of local government left the boundaries of Bedfordshire unchanged, though Linslade (formerly in Buckinghamshire) had been united with Leighton Buzzard in 1965. Huntingdonshire (pp. 180–276) lost its county status. After a short union with the Soke of Peterborough from 1965 until the reorganization in 1974, it then became, like the Soke, a district in the non-Metropolitan County of Cambridgeshire. Peterborough names will be found in Volume X.
ISBN: 0 904889 47 5 xiii + 316 pp. 2 maps.
Volume IV. The Place-Names of Worcestershire
by J. E. B. Gover, A. Mawer, and F. M. Stenton, in collaboration with F. T. S. Houghton. First published 1927
The volume surveys the names of all places in the county before 1974 (when the county, with modified boundaries, was combined with Herefordshire) and also includes a few parishes which had been transferred to Herefordshire in 1897. A large coloured map in an end-pocket shows clearly the numerous Worcestershire enclaves within neighbouring counties at the time of publication.
ISBN: 0 521075 01 7 xliv + 420 pp. Map
Volume V. The Place-Names of the North Riding of Yorkshire
by A. H. Smith.
First published 1928
This volume was the first to be edited by a scholar other than the Society’s general editors, and was also the first on a northern county with a landscape and settlement history markedly different from the areas previously surveyed. Linguistically, the substantial Scandinavian element is an important feature of the names of the county. The scarcity of Old English forms in the names is counterbalanced by the abundance of twelfth-century material drawn from the published monastic cartularies of Rievaulx, Whitby, and Guisborough. The single map (in an end-pocket) marks the boundaries of wapentakes and parishes. Apart from Teesside, the North Riding has now become part of North Yorkshire.
ISBN: 0 904889 20 3 xlvi + 352 pp. Map
Volumes VI and VII. The Place Names of Sussex, Parts 1 and 2
by A. Mawer and F. M. Stenton, with J. E. B. Gover.
The two Parts have been reprinted as a single volume which is continuously paginated. The two Parts represent the former division of the ancient county into the administrative counties West and East Sussex (1889–1974) and also approximate to the reorganized non-Metropolitan counties bearing the same names.
Part 1 (Vol. VI), first published 1929: Introduction. Notes on the dialect; abbreviations and bibliography. Place‑names of the Rapes of Chichester, Arundel, and Bramber.
Part 2 (Vol. VII), first published 1930: Addenda to the volume (pp. v–vii). Place‑names of the Rapes of Lewes, Pevensey, and Hastings (pp. 251–538). Glossary of elements; distribution; field‑names; personal names in the place‑names; indexes (pp. 539–613).
ISBN: 0 904889 64 5 i–xlvi + vii, 1–613 pp. Map.
Volumes VIII and IX. The Place-Names of Devon, Parts 1 and 2
by J. E. B. Gover, A. Mawer, and F. M. Stenton. The volumes are continuously paginated.
Part 1 (Vol. VIII), first published 1931: Introduction (pp. xiii–xxxi). Notes on dialect (pp. xxxii–xxxvii); names of rivers, hills &c. (pp. 1–20). Names of Exeter and of the Hundreds of Braunton, Coleridge, Ermington, Fremington, Hartland, Lifton, Plympton, Roborough, Shebbear, Shirwell, Stanborough, Tavistock, and Black Torrington (pp. 21–334). Map in pocket (originally in a separate cover).
ISBN: 0 521071 58 5 xxxi + 334 pp. Map.
Part 2 (Vol. IX), first published 1932: The Hundreds of South Molton, North Tawton, Witheridge, Crediton, West Budleigh, Wonford, Teignbridge, Exminster, Haytor, Bampton, Tiverton, Halberton, Hayridge, Cliston, East Budleigh, Ottery St Mary, Hemyock, Colyton, and Axminster; parishes formerly in Dorset (pp. 335–656). Glossaries; distribution of elements; field‑names; indexes (pp. 657–754).
ISBN: 0 904889 56 4 335–754 pp.
Volume X. The Place-Names of Northamptonshire
by J. E. B. Gover, and F. M. Stenton. First published 1933
The area covered by this volume includes the Soke of Peterborough (at the time of publication a separate administrative county and after 1974 a part of Cambridgeshire) historically identical with Nassaborough Hundred of Northamptonshire. The practice was commenced of the listing of field‑names, arranged by parishes, at the end of the book, followed by a summary of names not found in early records. This pattern was followed for most counties as far as Vol. XIX. Some terms of particular interest (e.g., cat’s brain, gall, nattock, wandoles and wong) are separately indexed. In an end-pocket are contained a county map (marking hundreds and parishes) and five distribution maps showing the locations of Anglian and Scandinavian names as well as of individual elements.
ISBN: 0 904889 21 1 xxxiii + 311 pp. 6 maps.
Volume XI. The Place-Names of Surrey
by J. E. B. Gover, A. Mawer, and F. M. Stenton, in collaboration with A. Bonner. First published 1934
This volume contains the names of parishes in the present county, together with those transferred in 1888 to the newly created Administrative County of London, and those which in 1965 were absorbed into Greater London (the entire Brixton Hundred and parts of Kingston and Wallington Hundreds). A small selection of street‑names adds to the interest of the volume. Field‑names are presented as in Volume X (the parishes concerned are indexed in Journal 27). Three appendices conclude the volume: names formed from animal-head names (by Bruce Dickins); Coldharbour and the element Friday in place‑names, both contributed by Arthur Bonner. An end-pocket contains a county map (with hundred and parish boundaries) and six distribution maps.
ISBN: 0 904889 22 X xlvi + 445 pp. 7 maps.
Volume XII. The Place-Names of Essex
by P. H. Reaney. First published 1935
In addition to the names in the present county, this volume also includes those of parishes which have been, since 1965, within the boundaries of Greater London (e.g., Barking, Ilford, Romford, East and West Ham, Walthamstow, and Leyton). No further changes were made in 1974. The editor noted in the Introduction that “No county bears so strongly as Essex the imprint of the Norman Conquest”, adding that “the map of Essex is dotted with names that preserve—often in strange disguise—names of French towns and French families”. In the seventy-five pages devoted to field‑names the editor was able to identify and explain a number of previously unrecorded forms. Among the field-name terms selected for separate indexing are brank, cammock, hoppet, queach, watership and wynd. An end-pocket contains a county map and eight distribution maps (some locating individual elements such as wic or (ge)hæg, others marking related groups).
ISBN: 0 521075 05 X lxii + 698 pp. 9 maps.
Volume XIII. The Place-Names of Warwickshire
by J. E. B. Gover, A. Mawer, and F. M. Stenton, in collaboration with F. T. S. Houghton. First published 1936
Out of stock.
The Warwickshire volume surveys the names of places in the ancient county, including those lost in 1974 to form the Metropolitan County of West Midlands. The coverage of minor names and field‑names is more extensive than in some previous volumes of the series, but street‑name identifications are limited to those having pre‑1700 forms. A four‑page appendix (pp. 382–5) discusses place‑names and field-names containing Folly and includes examples from several other English counties and from France. A county map and three distribution maps are contained in an end-pocket.
ISBN: 0 521049 06 7 li + 409 pp. 4 maps.
Volume XIV. The Place-Names of the East Riding of Yorkshire and York
by A. H. Smith. First published 1937
This volume covers an administrative area the boundaries of which remained virtually unchanged from Viking times until the late twentieth century. From 1974 until 1997 the East Riding was partitioned between the two non- Metropolitan Counties of North Yorkshire and of Humberside, but the latest reorganization has placed most of the area in East Yorkshire. The City of York has been transferred to North Yorkshire, but some places now within that city but formerly in Ainsty Wapentake are discussed in Part IV of The Place‑Names of the West Riding of Yorkshire. The editor notes a particular problem in the study of East Riding places and their names, namely the washing away of villages along the Humber and the North Sea coast, complicated further by the appearance of new stretches of alluvial deposits, exemplified by Ravenser Odd and Sunk Island. The obscure place‑name element spen is discussed in an appendix (pp. 330–2). An end-pocket contains a county map (showing boundaries of wapentakes and townships) and six distribution maps (locating hill, marshland and woodland place‑names and names containing various English and Scandinavian elements).
ISBN: 0 521049 07 5 lx + 351 pp. 7 maps.
Volume XV. The Place-Names of Hertfordshire
by J. E. B. Gover, A. Mawer, and F. M. Stenton. First published 1938
In this volume the practice was resumed of listing field‑names in parish order at the end of the book. Among the terms to which attention is directed are cangle, chalkdell, featherbed, innage, molland, nattock and sliding. A county map (showing hundred and parish boundaries) and four distribution maps are contained in an end-pocket. The boundaries of this county were modified in 1965, with the loss of the Barnet area to Greater London and other changes near the previous border with Middlesex. Otherwise, the territory surveyed coincides with the present-day county.
ISBN: 0 904889 23 8 xliii + 342 pp. 5 maps.
Volume XVI. The Place-Names of Wiltshire
by J. E. B. Gover, A. Mawer, and F. M. Stenton. First published 1939
The arrangement of the Wiltshire volume follows the pattern of its immediate predecessor. The editors comment on the prominence in this county of names of British origin, though these are basically of hills, woods, and rivers, rather than of habitations. Field‑names occupy more than ninety pages of this large volume. An end-pocket contains a county map (showing hundred and parish boundaries) and four distribution maps (locating lah and (ge)hæg, tn and ingtn, ham(m) and hamtn, and cote, þorp, worð). This county was unaffected by the boundary changes of 1973.
ISBN: 0 521049 09 1 xliii + 548 pp. 5 maps.
Volume XVII. The Place-Names of Nottinghamshire
by J. E. B. Gover, A. Mawer, and F. M. Stenton. First published 1940
A notable feature of Nottinghamshire nomenclature—names of mixed English and Scandinavian origin—is a complicating element in determining the settlement history on the basis of the place‑names, and there are numerous other points of interest among the place‑names of this county. The section on the city of Nottingham includes eight pages on street-names, some of which contain rare occupational terms. Field-names continue to be listed at the end of the volume. A county map (showing wapentake and parish boundaries) and four distribution maps are contained in an end-pocket.
ISBN: 0 904889 05 X xlii + 348 pp. 5 maps.
Volume XVIII. The Place-Names of Middlesex, apart from the City of London
by J. E. B. Gover, A. Mawer, and F. M. Stenton, with the collaboration of S. J. Madge First published 1942
The Middlesex volume surveys the names of the ancient county (apart from the City of London) before the creation of the County of London and Greater London. The City of Westminster and most of Ossulstone Hundred became part of the Administrative County of London (1888–1964) and then of Greater London. In 1965, South Mimms passed to Hertfordshire, a small area (including Ashford, Littleton, Shepperton, Staines, and Sunbury) was taken by Surrey, and the remainder, consisting of a number of incorporated municipal boroughs (Acton, Ealing, Finchley, Hornsey, Willesden etc.), was absorbed into Greater London. In addition to the customary historical explanations of major settlement names, the volume offers studies of street-names, many of which are of some antiquity and are well documented. An appendix discusses three sets of charters, relating respectively to Hendon, Hampstead, and Westminster. Two distribution maps are contained in an end-pocket.
ISBN: 0 904889 24 6 xxxiv + 237 pp. 2 maps.
Volume XIX. The Place-Names of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely
by P. H. Reaney. First published 1943
This volume appeared when Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely were separate administrative counties; they were later briefly combined (1965–74) as the Administrative County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, and then in 1974 were joined by Huntingdonshire and the Soke of Peterborough to form the present non-Metropolitan County of Cambridgeshire. Many place‑names within the present county will have to be sought, therefore, elsewhere in the Survey (Vols. III and X). An appendix gives a summary account of the names of parishes transferred from Essex in 1895 and already treated in Vol. XII. A county map, showing parish and hundred boundaries, and two distribution maps are contained in an end-pocket.
ISBN: 0 521049 12 1 lxi + 396 pp. 3 maps
Volumes XX, XXI, XXII. The Place-Names of Cumberland, Parts 1-3
by A. M. Armstrong, A. Mawer, F. M. Stenton, and Bruce Dickins.
The three Parts are continuously paginated. Volumes are available separately.
After local government reorganization, Cumberland now forms a part (with Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands) of the non-Metropolitan County of Cumbria.
Part 1 (Vol. XX), first published 1950. The City of Carlisle, and Eskdale,
Cumberland, and Leath Wards. This part surveys the eastern portion of the ancient county, together with hill, river, and road names of the whole area. Names include Carlisle, Dalston, Glassonby, and Alston.
ISBN: 0 521049 13 X 258 pp.
Part 2 (Vol. XXI), first published 1950. The Wards of Allerdale Above Derwent
and Allerdale Below Derwent. This is the Lakeland area, in which will be found such names as Keswick and Buttermere. Others include Aspatria, Millom, Blindcrake, Papcastle, and Maryport.
ISBN: 0 521049 14 8 259–457 pp.
Part 3 (Vol. XXII), first published 1952. This part includes the Introduction (pp. xiii–xxxix), bibliography (pp. xlv–lvi), glossary of elements (pp. 459–498), notes on distribution (pp. 498–504), personal names (pp. 504–8), an appendix on Romano-British names (pp. 509–12), indexes (pp. 513–63) and a numbered list of parishes serving as a key to the map (pp. 564–5). The coloured relief map in the end pocket marks wards and parishes, and serves also as a distribution map of general name types (distinguishing British, Anglian, Gaelic etc.).
ISBN: 0 521049 15 6 lvi + 459–565 pp.
Volumes XXIII and XXIV. The Place-Names of Oxfordshire, Parts 1 and 2
by Margaret Gelling, based on material collected by Doris Mary Stenton.
The two Parts are continuously paginated.
The boundaries of this county were greatly modified in the reorganization of local government. In 1974, a substantial area of Berkshire was transferred to Oxfordshire, including Abingdon, Faringdon, East & West Hendred, Wallingford, and Wantage. Information on these places must be sought in the Berkshire volumes.
Part 1 (Vol. XXIII), first published 1953: Introduction (with sections on geology and settlement by W. J. Arkell). Bibliography, notes on the dialect, road and river names, place‑names of the City of Oxford, and of the Hundreds of Langree, Binfield, Pyrton, Lewknor, Thame, Dorchester, Bullingdon, and Ploughley. Parish names in this Part include Benson, Culham, Dorchester, Henley upon Thames, Lewknor, and Thame.
ISBN: 0 521049 16 4 i–liii, 1–244 pp.
Part 2 (Vol. XXIV), first published 1954: Place‑names of the Hundreds of Wootton, Bampton, Chadlington, Bloxham, and Banbury; glossaries, appendix on charter boundaries; 2 maps (hundreds & parishes, and geology) bound in. Among the parish names in this part are Banbury, Burford, Eynsham, Heythrop, Minster Lovell, Brize Norton, Chipping Norton, the Tews, and Witney.
ISBN: 0 521049 17 2 245–517 pp.
Volumes XXV-XXVI. English Place-Name Elements
by A. H. Smith with Addenda and Corrigenda compiled by Kenneth Cameron and Kenneth Jackson.
This reprinted work makes available A. H. Smith’s 1956 English Place‑Name Elements, together with Addenda and Corrigenda published in the Journal of the English Place‑Name Society 1 (1969), in a single volume. A simple marginal notation in the Elements text directs the reader to the addendum reprinted at the end of the volume.
The original pagination of the two volumes and the addenda and corrigenda is retained. Maps are contained in a pocket inside the back cover. There is no dust jacket.
ISBN: 978 0 904889 81 9 lv + 305, 417, 44pp. 9 maps.
Volumes XXVII-XXIX. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Parts 1-3
by Kenneth Cameron. First published 1959
The three Parts are continuously paginated.
Part 1 (Vol. XXVII): Introduction and Bibliography: The Names of Regions, Rivers, Forests and Roads; the Place‑names of High Peak Hundred. After an account of the geology of the county, there are comments on the Celtic names, early Anglo-Saxon settlement, the Scandinavian element in Derbyshire (slighter than in neighbouring counties), and the considerable number of hybrid names. Parish names in this Part include Bakewell, Bamford, Buxton, Castleton, Chapel en le Frith, Chatsworth, Chelmorton, Curbar, Darley, Edensor, Eyam, Hazlebadge, Litton, Mellor, Monyash, and Outseats.
ISBN: 0 904889 25 4 lxxiv + 1–185 pp.
Part 2 (Vol. XXVIII): The Hundreds of Scarsdale, Wirksworth, and Morleyston & Litchurch. Places in this Part include Alfreton, Ashbourne, Beighton, Bolsover, Brampton, Brimington, Calow, Chesterfield, Derby, Dronfield, Heanor, Ilkeston, Matlock, and Staveley.
ISBN: 0 904889 26 2 187–514 pp.
Part 3 (Vol. XXIX): Appletree Hundred, Repton & Gresley Hundred (pp. 515–670). Place‑name Elements, Distribution of Elements, Personal Names occurring in Place‑names, Elements in Field-names, Personal Names in Field-names and Minor Names (pp. 671–829). Names discussed include Alderwasley, Croxall, Duffield, Hartshorne, Kedleston, Repton, Snelston, and Swadlincote. The seven maps in a pocket at the end of this volume show the boundaries of hundreds and parishes, and indicate the linguistic distribution of elements.
ISBN: 0 904889 27 0 515–829 pp.
Volumes XXX-XXXVII. The Place-Names of the West Riding of Yorkshire
by A. H. Smith. First published 1961
XXX and XXXI are out of stock.
Each part is separately paginated.
Like the other two divisions of the ancient county of York, the West Riding was abolished as an administrative entity in local-government reorganization, 1974.
Part 1 (Vol. XXX): Lower & Upper Strafforth and Staincross Wapentakes. This volume deals with the place‑names of the Don valley (principal towns: Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham, and Sheffield), including minor names and field-names, as well as the street-names of the major towns. As in Parts 2–6, the map, bound in, shows the wapentake and township boundaries of the area surveyed.
ISBN: 0 904 889 28 9 xi + 346 pp. Map.
Part 2 (Vol. XXXI): Osgoldcross and Agbrigg Wapentakes. This region extends from the lower Ouse marshlands to the mountains on the borders of Lancashire and Cheshire. The principal town-names discussed are Dewsbury, Goole, Huddersfield, Pontefract, and Wakefield.
ISBN: 0 904889 29 7 xi + 321 pp. Map.
Part 3 (Vol. XXXII): Morley Wapentake. The greater part of this wapentake consists of the two ancient ecclesiastical parishes of Halifax and Bradford. This was historically the great woollen manufacturing district of Yorkshire, the principal towns of which were Spenborough (with its several small towns), Brighouse, Halifax, the parts of Leeds south of the Aire, and Bradford.
ISBN: 0 904889 30 0 xiii + 278 pp. Map.
Part 4 (Vol. XXXIII): Barkston Ash, Skyrack, and Ainsty Wapentakes. The first two of these wapentakes lie between the Aire and the Wharfe and extend from the Ouse in the east to Ilkley Moor on the borders of Craven in the west. Names discussed include Bingley, Guiseley, Ilkley, Leeds, Otley, and Selby. Ainsty wapentake, the smallest in this Riding, extends from the gates of York to Tadcaster.
ISBN: 0 904889 31 9 xii +262 pp. Map.
Part 5 (Vol. XXXIV): Upper and Lower Claro Wapentakes. Upper Claro comprises the northern side of middle Wharfedale from Wetherby to the boundary of Craven; Lower Claro occupies the whole of Nidderdale. The principal towns are Boroughbridge, Harrogate, Knaresborough, Ripon, and Wetherby.
ISBN: 0 904889 32 7 xii + 222 pp. Map.
Part 6 (Vol. XXXV): East & West Staincliffe and Ewcross Wapentakes. The regions discussed in this volume are Craven (the eastern part of Staincliffe) and Bowland (to the west, on the Lancashire border). Ewcross comprises the upper part of Ribblesdale and the eastern side of Lonsdale, extending to the mountainous country around Sedbergh on the Westmorland border. The chief towns are Barnoldswick, Dent, Ingleton, Keighley, Sedbergh, Settle, and Skipton.
ISBN: 0 904889 33 5 xii + 274 pp. Map.
Part 7 (Vol. XXXVI): Introduction. Bibliography. River- and Road-names. Analyses. This volume contains the general introduction, bibliography, notes on dialect; glossary of elements, a classified list of topographical and other elements, notes on some later field-names and notes on distribution. The maps of the entire Riding contained in an end-pocket locate OE and ON pre-1500 woodland names, Irish-Norwegian elements, OE elements such as -ing, hm and tn, Scandinavian elements, Mercian forms wælla and worðign, and geology (on a translucent overlay).
ISBN: 0 904 889 34 3 xvii + 307 pp. 7 maps.
Part 8 (Vol. XXXVII): Index. This comprehensive index lists not only the West Riding names but also those of the East and North Ridings. Including the names of all parishes and townships as well as many minor names, it will be found invaluable to users of the Survey and to students of Yorkshire records.
ISBN: 0 904889 35 1 xiii + 207 pp.
Volumes XXXVIII-XLI. The Place-Names of Gloucestershire, Parts 1-4
by A. H. Smith.
Part 1 (Vol. XXXVIII), first published 1964: Roads, rivers; names in the East Cotswolds. Principal towns and villages in this Part are Bibury, Bourton on the Water, Chipping Campden, Chedworth, Cirencester, Minchinhampton, Moreton in Marsh, Nailsworth, Northleach, the Slaughters, Stow on the Wold and Stroud.
ISBN 0 904889 36 X xiii + 268 pp.
Part 2 (Vol. XXXIX), first published 1964. Place‑names of the North and West Cotswolds and the lower Avon valley as far south as the Vale of Berkeley. The principal towns are Berkeley, Cheltenham, Dursley, Gloucester, Tewkesbury and Winchcomb.
ISBN: 0 904889 37 8 xiii + 264 pp.
Part 3 (Vol. XL), first published 1965. The Lower Severn Valley and the Forest of Dean. In addition to the City of Bristol, names in this Part include Almondsbury, Hawkesbury, Henbury, Pucklechurch, Chipping Sodbury, and Thornbury. In the area lying beyond Severn are Lydney, Maisemore, Newent, St Briavels, Tidenham, and Westbury on Severn.
ISBN: 0 904889 38 6 xiv + 272 pp.
Part 4 (Vol. XLI), first published 1965. Introduction. Bibliography. Analyses. Index. Besides a classified index of field and minor names the volume also includes indexes of names containing identifiable personal names and saints’ names, and of Anglo-Saxon charters, as well as the customary general index. In an end-pocket are a county map, showing hundreds and parishes, maps of Gloucestershire geology and Romano-British and Welsh names, and distribution maps of woodland terms, tn, ingtn and w§c, worð, worðig, and worðign, þrop, and Mercian forms.
ISBN: 0 904889 39 4 xv + 274 pp. 8 maps.
Volumes XLII and XLIII. The Place-Names of Westmoreland, Parts 1 and 2
by A.H. Smith.
The name Westmorland was originally applied to the northern section of the county, with its capital at Appleby; later, the Barony of Kendal was added to it. The county continued within those boundaries until 1974, when it was combined with Cumberland and the northern part of Lancashire to form the reorganized county of Cumbria.
Part 1 (Vol. XLII), first published 1967: Introduction. Names of Rivers, Lakes, and Roads. Place‑names of the Barony of Kendal. Principal towns and villages included are Beetham, Dillicar, Docker, Kendal, Kirkby Lonsdale, Levens, and Mansergh.
ISBN: 0 904889 40 8 lxxv + 212 pp.
Part 2 (Vol. XLIII), first published 1967: The Barony of Westmorland. Analyses. Index. Principal towns and villages include Appleby, Askham, Bampton, Brough, Brougham, Crosby Ravensworth, Kirkby Stephen, Lowther, Mallerstang and Shap. A geological map and three distribution maps are translucent overlays for use with the key map of wards and parishes.
ISBN: 0 904889 41 6 xiv +367 pp. 5 maps.
Volumes XLIV-XLVIII and LIV. The Place-Names of Cheshire, Parts 1-5.i
by John McN. Dodgson; Vol. LXXIV. The Place‑Names of Cheshire, Part 5 (2), by John McN. Dodgson, edited and completed by Alexander R. Rumble.
Each of Parts 1–4 is separately paginated. For pagination of Part 5, see below.
Part 1 (Vol. XLIV), first published 1970: Macclesfield Hundred. Besides names of the county, roads, rivers, regions, and forests, e.g., Wirral, The Lyme, Delamere, and Mondrem, names discussed include Cheadle, Marple, Macclesfield, Northenden, and Stockport.
ISBN: 0 521077 03 6 xlvi + 338 pp.
Part 2 (Vol. XLV), first published 1970: Bucklow and Northwich Hundreds. Altrincham, Comberbatch, Congleton, Knutsford, Middlewich, Northwich, and Sale, are among the settlements whose names are discussed in this Part.
ISBN: 0 521079 14 4 lx + 329 pp.
Part 3 (Vol. XLVI), first published 1971: Nantwich and Eddisbury Hundreds. The area extends from the Shropshire border to the Mersey estuary, containing part of the salt-field, the uplands of the Forest of Delamere, and Crewe, Nantwich, Winsford, Winnington, and Frodsham.
ISBN: 0 521080 49 5 xvi + 329 pp.
Part 4 (Vol. XLVII), first published 1972: Broxton and Wirral Hundreds. Concluding the survey of the county (apart from the City of Chester), in this Part are discussed such names as Wallasey, West Kirby, Birkenhead, Hoylake, Ellesmere Port, Malpas, and Noctorum.
ISBN: 0 521082 47 1 xvi + 340 pp.
Part 5 (1:i) (Vol. XLVIII), first published 1981: The City of Chester. The Elements of Cheshire Place‑Names (á-gylden). In this first division of the fifth Part, the names of the City of Chester are studied in considerable detail and are fully indexed in the volume. Pp. 85–204 contain the first section of the glossary of elements, with lists of examples and selected page references.
ISBN: 0 90489 07 6 li + 204 pp.
Volumes LXIX-LI. The Place-Names of Berkshire, Parts 1-3
by Margaret Gelling.
The Parts are continuously paginated. Maps in slip case.
In the local government reorganization of 1973–4, Berkshire gained the area around Slough from Buckinghamshire but lost some territory to Oxfordshire including Abingdon, Faringdon, East & West Hendred, Wallingford, and Wantage. The Royal County was abolished in 1997.
Part 1 (Vol. XLIX), first published 1973: County, District, Road, Dyke, and River-names. Place‑Names of the Hundreds of Ripplesmere, Bray, Beynhurst, Cookham, Charlton, Wargrave, Sonning, Reading, Theale, and Faircross (pp.i–xxi, 1–287). The Hundreds are those of the south and east of the county, including the most densely populated areas round Bracknell, Maidenhead, Reading, Windsor, and Wokingham.
ISBN: 0 904889 45 9 xxi + 287 pp.
Part 2 (Vol. L), first published 1974: The Hundreds of Kintbury Eagle, Lambourn, Shrivenham, Ganfield, Ock, Hormer, Wantage, Compton, Moreton (pp. 289–539). Index to Parts 1 and 2 (pp. 546–612). Among the names surveyed are Abingdon, Cumnor, Faringdon, East Hendred, Lambourn, Shrivenham, Streatley, Uffington and Wallingford.
ISBN: 0 904889 44 0 289–613 pp.
Part 3 (Vol. LI), first published 1976: The Old English Charter Boundaries of Berkshire (pp. 615–794). Introduction to The Place‑Names of Berkshire (pp. 795–847). Analyses (pp. 848–945). Index to the Old English Charter Boundaries (pp. 947–50). Index to the Introduction (pp. 951–5). The two cartularies of Abingdon Abbey receive due treatment by the detailed study of the charter bounds in this Part. Maps of charter bounds are supplied in a separate slip-case The Introduction and annotations will also be of service to students of Anglo-Saxon land-grants in other counties.
ISBN: 0 904889 00 9 615–955 pp.
Volumes LII, LIII, LIX/LX, LXXXVI/VII. The Place-Names of Dorset Parts 1-4
by A. D. Mills.
Part 1 (Vol. LII), first published 1977: Bibliography. Place‑Names of the Isle of Purbeck and the Hundreds of Rowbarrow, Hasler, Winfrith, Culliford Tree, Bere Regis, Barrow, Puddletown, St George. This Part covers south-east Dorset, including the coast from Purbeck to Swanage. Among the names discussed are Affpuddle, Bere Regis, Charminster, Corfe Castle, Dorchester, Lulworth, Portland, Puddletown, Swanage, Tolpuddle, Wareham, Weymouth, and Wool. An Index of all Dorset parishes appears in the volume, with completed pagination only for the entries dealt with in this Part.
ISBN: 0 904889 02 5 xxxi + 384 pp. 2 maps in text.
Part 2 (Vol. LIII), first published 1980: The Hundreds of Cogdean, Loosebarrow, Rushmore, Combs Ditch, Pimperne, Badbury, Cranborne, Wimborne St Giles, Knowlton, Monkton Up Wimborne. The place‑names of eastern Dorset include Blandford Forum, Bryanston, Cranborne, Long Crichel, Fifehead Neville, Hamworthy, Pentridge, Poole, Shapwick, Stourpaine, and the eight parishes named from the River Tarrant. The progressive Index covers Parts 1 and 2.
ISBN: 0 904889 04 1 vii + 298 pp. 2 maps in text.
Volume LIV. The Place-Names of Cheshire, Part 5.ii
First published 1981: The Elements of Cheshire Place‑Names. This volume, paginated continuously with Part 5 (1:i), contains the second instalment, haca-yolden, of the glossary of place‑name elements (pp. 205–396), with analyses of field-name types (pp. 396–405) and personal names (pp. 406–26).
ISBN: 0 904889 08 4 ix + 221 pp.
Volume LV. The Place-Names of Staffordshire
by J. P. Oakden.
Part 1 (Vol. LV), first published 1984: Cuttlestone Hundred. Besides the names of the county and of main geographical features, this volume covers the area immediately to the south of Stafford, from Foston on the Shropshire border to Rugeley and Cannock, with Brewood, Featherstone, Mitton, and Essington along its southern boundary, and includes Brereton, Gnosall, Hednesford, Penkridge, and Acton Trussel.
ISBN: 0 904889 09 2 li + 187 pp.
Volume LVI/LVII. Cornish Place-Name Elements
by O. J. Padel.
First published in 1985, this dictionary of all the Cornish-language elements (totalling nearly 800) so far known to occur in the place‑names of the county is the first such work to be attempted for any Celtic language. Over 4,000 Cornish place‑names are cited and indexed, but the volume has a range extending beyond the limits of Cornwall, and will be of use to those studying Celtic place‑names in other areas. There are also indexes of places outside Cornwall, and of Welsh and Breton cognates of the Cornish elements.
ISBN: 0 904889 11 4 xli + 354 pp. 4 maps.
Volumes LVIII, LXIV/LXV, LXVI, LXXI, LXXIII, LXXVII, LXXXV. The Place-Names of Lincolnshire
The Place‑Names of Lincolnshire, Parts 1 and 2, by Kenneth Cameron; Parts 3, 4, 5 and 6, by Kenneth Cameron with John Field and John Insley; Part 7, by Kenneth Cameron and John Insley with Jean Cameron.
Part 1 (Vol. LVIII), first published 1985. The County of the City of Lincoln. The volume deals with the names of the City of Lincoln and its suburbs, and with those of the parishes of Branston & Mere, Canwick, and Waddington, which were formerly part of the County of the City. The list of early forms for the name Lincoln includes numerous spellings from coins.
ISBN: 0 904889 10 6 xliii + 236 pp.
Volumes LIX-LX. The Place-Names of Dorset, Part 3
First published 1989. The Hundreds of Redlane, Sixpenny Handley, Sturminster Newton, Whiteway, Buckland Newton, Brownsall, and Sherborne. This Part deals with the hundreds in the north of the county, including such places as Gillingham, Motcombe, Shaftesbury, Stour Provost, and Sherborne, together with five parishes formerly in Somerset. The Index of parishes covers Parts 1–3.
ISBN: 0 904889 13 0 400 pp. 2 maps in text.
Volumes LXI, LXXII, LXXIX. The Place-Names of Norfolk, Parts 1, 2, and 3
by Karl Inge Sandred and Bengt Lindström; Part 2, by Karl Inge Sandred, with B. Cornford, B. Lindström, and P. Rutledge, incorporating the material collected by O. K. Schram; Part 3, by Karl Inge Sandred.
Part 1 (Vol. LXI), first published 1989: The City of Norwich. In making this study of Norwich intra muros the two editors had the benefit of recent archaeological work and were thus able to confirm various interpretations by reference to the urban topographical research of the Norwich Survey. In addition to the cathedral and the numerous churches and parishes, street-names make an important contribution to these studies. The prefatory section includes Abbreviations and Bibliography (pp. xiii–xxi).
ISBN: 0 904889 15 7 xxiii + 169 + 10 pp. 5 maps.
Part 2 (Vol. LXXII), first published 1996: The Hundreds of East and West Flegg, Happing, and Tunstead. An Index of the place-names contained in this volume is included. The prefatory section includes Abbreviations and Bibliography (pp. xi-xxiv).
ISBN: 0 90488950 5 xxiv +224 pp.
Volumes LXII/LXIII, LXX, LXXX, LXXXII, LXXXIX. The Place-Names of Shropshire, Parts 1-6
by Margaret Gelling in collaboration with H. D. G. Foxall.
Part 1 (Vol. LXII/LXIII), first published 1990: The Major Names of Shropshire. This is the first volume in the Survey to treat the parish and township names of an entire county together before dealing, in subsequent Parts, with minor names and field-names. One reason for this is the frequent recurrence in this county of major names compounded with Acton, Aston, Burton, Norton, Sutton, etc., which can be discussed as groups, rather than individually, as would be necessary when dispersed among regional volumes. The new arrangement facilitates the correct assignment of medieval spellings and permits the wider significance of such names to be appreciated.
ISBN: 0 904889 14 9 xxix + 335 pp. 2 maps.
Volumes LXIV/LXV and LXVI. The Place-Names of Lincolnshire
Part 2 (Vol. LXIV/LXV), first published 1991. Yarborough Wapentake. This double volume, beginning the survey of the North Riding of Lindsey, analyses the names Lincolnshire, Yarborough Wapentake, and North Riding and then studies the Humberside parishes from South Ferriby to Immingham and Stallingborough, and those westwards inland as far as Cadney and North Kelsey, including Barrow upon Humber, Barton upon Humber, Bigby, Brocklesby, East Halton, Goxhill, Grasby, Habrough, Immingham, Killingholme, Somerby, Thornton Curtis, Ulceby, Worlaby, and Wrawby. A map of the area is bound in.
ISBN: 0 904889 16 5 xxi + 326 pp. Map.
Part 3 (Vol. LXVI), first published 1992. The Wapentake of Walshcroft. Walshcroft is the Wapentake to the south of Yarborough. Among the parishes are Binbrook, Claxby, South Kelsey, Linwood, Normanby le Wold, Owersby, the Rasens, Stainton le Vale, Tealby, Thoresway and Usselby. The extensive documentation searched has supplied substantial numbers of early forms, enabling some new etymologies to be confidently proposed. As in the previous Part, the amount of field-name material, both medieval and modern, is very large. The volume includes Addenda and Corrigenda to Parts 1 and 2. A map of the area is bound in.
ISBN: 0 904889 18 1 xxiii + 197 pp. Map.
Volume LXVII/LXVIII/LXIX. The Place-Names of Rutland
by Barrie Cox.
First published 1994
Containing only fifty-eight parishes, as a separate territory Rutland has a long history, including a period as an independent Anglian kingdom and later as dower land of the queens of Mercia. The place‑names of the county are of great interest, not least significant being the preponderance of Old English names within a surrounding region of considerable Scandinavian settlement. The Introduction to this large volume discusses the archaeological and historical implications of many of the major and some of the minor names of the county. Rutland was absorbed by Leicestershire in 1974, but resumed unitary status in 1997.
ISBN: 0 904889 17 3 lxxxvi + 483 pp. 8 maps.
Volume LXX. The Place-Names of Shropshire, Part 2
First published 1995: The Hundreds of Ford and Condover. In this Part minor names and field-names in the area south and south-west of Shrewsbury receive detailed consideration, with summary explanations of major names, already more fully discussed in Part 1. The editor acknowledges the late George Foxall’s invaluable contributions to the survey of this county. His work (by no means limited to mapping the field-names from the Tithe documents) is utilised in this and subsequent volumes.
ISBN: 0 904889 43 2 xxv + 212 pp. 5 maps.
Volume LXXI. The Place-Names of Lincolnshire, Part 4
First published 1996. The Wapentakes of Ludborough and Haverstoe. The prefatory section of this volume includes Additions to the Abbreviations and Bibliography printed in Parts 1–3 (pp. viii–ix and Addenda and Corrigenda to Parts 1–4 (pp. xiii–xv). Among the parishes of these two wapentakes are Covenham, Little Grimsby, Ludborough, North Ormsby, Utterby, Cuxwold, Fulstow, Marsh Chapel, Wold Newton and Waltham. As in other parts of the survey, the interpretations have been checked by careful field-work, particularly in Hawerby, Fulstow and Marsh Chapel.
ISBN: 0 904889 46 7 xviii + 201 pp. Map.
LXXII. The Place-Names of Norfolk, Part 2
First published 1996: The Hundreds of East and West Flegg, Happing and Tunstead. The area covered is the coastal territory of the county from Paston and Bacton to Great Yarmouth, including the parishes of North Walsham, Worstead, Happisburgh, Hickling, Marham, Hemsby and Caister next Yarmouth. The section containing Abbreviations and Bibliography (pp. xi–xxiv) includes mainly works not listed in Part 1 of the Norfolk survey.
ISBN: 0 904889 50 5 xxvi + 224 pp. Map.
Volume LXXIII. The Place-Names of Lincolnshire, Part 5
First published 1997. The Wapentake of Bradley. This volume completes the place‑name survey of the North Riding of Lindsey and includes numerous forms for Great Grimsby and Cleethorpes names, collected from the large local collections of records in North East Lincolnshire Archives and Grimsby Public Library. Other settlements in the area include Humberston, Scartho, Great Coates, Swallow and Tetney.
ISBN: 0 904889 53 X xix + 179 pp. Map.
Volume LXXIV. The Place-Names of Cheshire, Part 5.ii
Introduction, Linguistic Notes and Indexes with Appendixes. First published 1998: Addenda and Corrigenda to The Place‑Names of Cheshire (pp. xv–xxiii); Index to The Place‑Names of Cheshire, Pts 1–5 (pp. 1–184); Distribution of field-name elements (pp. 185–9); Linguistic notes (pp. 190–219); Introduction (pp. 220–47); Appendix 1: Five reprinted articles by John Dodgson, with supplementary notes (pp. 248–370); Appendix 2, ‘The environmental background’, by Dr D. Kenyon (pp. 371–86); Notes on Map 1, by F. I. Dunn (pp. 387–90).
ISBN: 0 904889 54 8 xxiii + 391 pp. 2 maps.
Volumes LXXV, LXXVIII, LXXXI, XC. The Place-Names of Leicestershire, Parts 1-4
by Barrie Cox.
Part 1 (Vol. LXXV), first published 1998: The Borough of Leicester. It is appropriate that the seventy-fifth volume of the Survey, published seventy-five years from the foundation of the Society, should mark a new departure in presentation. This first Part of the Leicestershire survey, an account of the names of the Borough of Leicester, is the first attempt in the series to devote an entire volume to the nomenclature of a major industrial city. Among other features the text includes a detailed consideration of a selection of street-names, limited to those applied before 1850. The town-plan provided, originally published in 1828, shows the new residential and industrial developments impinging on the remains of the Roman and medieval town, still traceable at the beginning of the nineteenth century.
ISBN: 0 904889 55 6 xxiii + 270 pp. Map.
Volume LXXVI. The Place-Names of Shropshire, Part 3
First published 2001: Telford New Town, The Northern Part of Munslow Hundred and The Franchise of Wenlock. This Part covers an area of Shropshire difficult to categorise, including Telford, Wellington, Much Wenlock, Church Stretton and the detached area of Stoke St Milborough. The area has been much affected by administrative reorganisation, treated in the Introduction, and an Appendix treats the historical changes to the Hundreds.
ISBN: 0 904889 60 2 xxiv + 299 pp. 5 maps.
Volume LXXVII. The Place-Names of Lincolnshire, Part 6
Fisrt published 2001. Framland Hundred. Framland Hundred comprises the north-eastern corner of Leicestershire: the uplands of the Wolds are central; to the north, the Hundred takes in a tranche of the Vale of Belvoir and to the south, the upper Wreake Valley is part of the Hundred’s territory. The volume includes a comprehensive list and index of name-elements used in the nomenclature of the area.
ISBN: 0 904889 63 7 xxix + 401 pp. Map.
Volume LXXIX. The Place-Names of Norfolk, Part 3
First published 2002. The Hundreds of North and South Erpingham and Holt. This volume covers the names of the northern coastal regions of Norfolk from Blakeney Point to Mundesley, and includes Cromer and Sheringham. There are further additions to the Bibliography and one page of addenda.
ISBN: 0 904889 66 1 xx + 167 pp. 3 maps.
Volume LXXX. The Place-Names of Shropshire, Part 4
First published 2004: Shrewsbury Town and suburbs, and the Liberties of Shrewsbury. This Part has an extensive discussion of the name Shrewsbury, and the material on the topography and history of the town has benefited from the work of Mr W. Champion.
ISBN: 0 904889 67 X xxxi + 186 pp. 4 maps.
Volume LXXXI. The Place-Names of Leicestershire, Part 3
First published 2004. East Goscote Hundred, covering the western Leicestershire Wolds, the Soar Valley east of the river and the lower Wreake Valley. The volume includes a comprehensive list and index of name-elements in the nomenclature of the area.
ISBN: 0 904889 68 8 xxx + 373 pp. Map.
Volume LXXXII. The Place-Names of Shropshire, Part 5
First published 2007. The Hundreds of Pimhill and Bradford North. This Part covers two of the northernmost hundreds of the county, an area of predominantly low-lying land of marsh and heath. The introduction contains a brief outline of the relationship of names to the geography and history of the area.
ISBN: 0 904889 76 9 xxx + 321 pp. 8 maps.
Volume LXXXIII. The Place-Names of County Durham, Part 1
by Victor Watts. First published 2007
The first of a projected four volumes, this covers principally the area between the Tees and the Wear, including the major historical settlements and ecclesiastical centres of Durham city and Bishop Auckland. It is the first major survey of the county’s toponymy since Sir Allen Mawer’s brief work of 1920.
ISBN: 978 0 904889 73 4 xxv + 284pp. Map.
Volume LXXXIV. The Place-Names of Leicestershire, Part 4
First published 2009. Gartree Hundred. This volume covers the parishes in the south-west of the historic county of Leicestershire, from Husbands Bosworth in the south to Scraptoft in the north, and extending east to Great Easton. Included in the Hundred are the parishes of Marefield, Owston and Newbold and Knossington and Cold Overton.
The names of each parish are recorded and discussed with Professor Cox’s customary thoroughness, insight and scholarship. The Hundred’s names reveal an interesting distribution of Scandinavian elements, and a range folklore influences. The apparatus includes an introduction, index and a comprehensive list of place‑name elements.
ISBN: 978 0 904889 82 6 xxviii + 392pp. Map.
Volume LXXXV. The Place-Names of Lincolnshire, Part 7
First published 2010. Lawress Wapentake. This volume completes the part of the Lincolnshire survey that Kenneth Cameron had substantially collected material for, and has a cumulative index to the names dealt with the survey.
ISBN: 978 0 904889 80 2 xxv + 151 pp. Map.
Volumes LXXXVI and LXXXVII. The Place-Names of Dorset, Part 4
First published 2010. The hundreds of Uggescombe, Eggardon, Tollerford, Cerne. Totcombe & Modbury, Yetminster, Beaminster, Beaminster Forum & Redhone, Whitchurch Cononicorum and Godderthorn. This Part covers the nine Hundreds of south-west Dorset, and brings the survey of the county’s parish names to completion. The Index of parishes covers all Parts.
ISBN: 978 0 904889 85 7 xi + 504 pp. 2 maps.
Volume LXXXVIII. The Place-Names of Leicestershire, Part 5
First published 2011. Guthlaxton Hundred, including the parishes of Arnesby, Ashby Magna, Ashby Parva, Aylestone, Bittesby, Bitteswell, Blaby, Broughton Astley, Bruntingthorpe, Catthorpe, Claybrooke Magna, Claybrooke Parva, Cosby, Cotesbach, Countesthorpe, Dunton Bassett, Frolesworth, Gilmorton, Glen Parva, Kilby, Kimcote and Walton, Knaptoft, Knighton, Leire, Lutterworth, Misterton, North Kilworth, Oadby, Peatling Magna, Peatling Parva, Shawell, Shearsby, South Kilworth, Swinford, Ullesthorpe, Westrill and Starmore, Whetstone, Wigston Parva, Wigston Magna, Willoughby Waterleys ~ Waterless. Includes a list of elements used in the names of Guthlaxton Hundred.
ISBN: 978 0 904889 87 1 xxxi + 316 pp. 1 map.
Volume LXXXIX. The Place-Names of Shropshire, Part 6
First published 2012. The Hundreds of Brimstree and Bradford South.
ISBN: 978 0 904889 83 3 xxvi + 241 pp. 3 maps.
Supernumerary volume. Perceptions of Place
Edited by Jayne Carroll and David N. Parsons
First published 2013. Twenty-First-Century Interpretations of English Place-Name Studies. Perceiving place through time: English place-name studies, 1924-2013. This volume takes stock of the progress of English place-name study over the last hundred years: approaches and methods, changing currents of opinion, recent conclusions, and further possibilities. Drawing on the documentation and analysis provided by the 89 volumes to date of the Survey of English Place-Names-as well as a century of related work-scholars from a range of disciplines reflect on the languages and cultures that shaped early England, on English place-names in neighbouring territories, and on the interface between name-study and related approaches to understanding the history, cultures, landscapes and languages of the past.
ISBN: 978 0 904889 86 4 xxxvii + 474 pp.
Volume XC. The Place-Names of Leicestershire, Part 6
First published 2014. Sparkenhoe Hundred.
ISBN: 978 0 904889 88 8 xxxii + 432 pp.
Volume XCI. The Place-Names of Leicestershire, Part 7
First published 2016. West Goscote Hundred and the Leicestershire parishes of Repton and Gresley Hundred.
ISBN: 978 0 904889 92 5 xxvi + 387 pp.