Understanding human behaviour is essential to tackle the challenges of the future. Researchers from across our faculties are working together to build upon our existing interdisciplinary strengths.
The University’s research expertise takes in the fundamental level of decision-making, and explores applications including our role as consumers, users of transport and our relationship with technology. The Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics, based in the School of Economics, and the Centre for Research in the Behavioural Sciences, at Nottingham Business School, both have international reputations and excellent track records for collaboration with private and public sector organisations. The more recently established Nottingham Interdisciplinary Centre of Economic and Political Research was awarded the University’s Bridging the Gaps award, which supports interdisciplinary collaborations. Researchers from Nottingham are also part of the ESRC funded Network for Integrated Behavioural Science.
- Nottingham Business School has considerable experience in applied research, in particular consumer behaviour, and its collaborations inform business practice
- Researchers from the School of Economics help shaping consumer financial protection policies in the UK
- Researchers from the School of Psychology’s Personality, Social Psychology and Health group and the Accident Research Unit can demonstrate impact in areas including pro and antisocial behaviour, mental health, altruism and charitable giving, as well as the behaviour of drivers
- Research at the School of Politics is shaping perception and policies on corruption, voting behaviour, and behaviour change of bureaucracies
- Our cross-disciplinary research also influences the responses of policymakers to challenges surrounding energy use, climate change and health
We have well-established excellence in behavioural science research. The Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics is top ranked in the world by the economics data base IDEAS, for example. By encouraging multidisciplinary thinking and strengthening collaborations across sectors we will further raise Nottingham’s profile as a centre of excellence.
Research Centres, Groups and Institutes