Talented badminton players studying at the University of Nottingham join a thriving programme based in one of the best badminton facilities in the country, the £40 million David Ross Sports Village, which includes a show court seating over 600.
In the University competitions, we've just posted our most successful year to date with victory in the individual Women's singles for Li Lian Yang and league victory for our Women's 1st team. Our vision is ambitious and we offer a strong performance culture and comprehensive training schedule for students joining us!
Badminton at The University of Nottingham
Heading our programme is UKCC Level 2 and Badminton Wales National Development coach Martyn Lewis. Martyn also coaches our National Badminton League team.
Previously a professional badminton player, Martyn won nearly 100 caps for Wales and held the No. 1 Welsh Men's Doubles ranking for 5 years. His nine European and World title wins included victory at the Spanish and Belgian Open. The programme is also supported by Neil White.
Email Martyn Lewis
- Train every day - 5 days during the week (120 min) - can be more than 1 a day
- Individual coaching in addition to squad training
- 2 x weekly strength and conditioning training (90 min each)
- opportunities to train abroad
- 18/19 European Universities (EUSA) Team Gold, Gold- Li Lian Yang- (Women's Singles), Gold - Li Lian Yang and Emily Westwood (Women's Doubles), Gold- Johnnie Torjussen and Emily Westwood (Mixed Doubles), Bronze- Johnnie Torjussen (Men's Singles)
- 18/19 BUCS Women's Single Champion, Li Lian Yang
- 18/19 BUCS Women's National Champions
- 17/18 BUCS Gold, Li Lian Yang (Woman's Singles) and Li Lian Yang and Phone Naing (Mixed Doubles)
- 2016/17 - European Universities (EUSA) Team Silver - Li Lian Yang- Gold (Woman's Singles), Lian Yang / Phone Naing- Silver (Mixed Doubles), Emily Witts/ Tiara Samuel- Bronze (Woman's Doubles)
- 2016/17 - EUSA Bronze - Women's team
- 2017 AJ Bell National Badminton League Champions
Studying: Business Management (Business School)
Badminton background: Myanmar senior international
Top achievements: Myanmar Senior Men's Singles champion, Badminton England Senior Gold champion, Gold (mixed doubles) and bronze (men's singles) medallist at 2018 BUCS Nationals.
" Not only does Nottingham have top court facilities, but players also access excellent coaching and training programmes as well as a comprehensive support programme that provides everything you need as an athlete."
Li Lian Yang
Studying: BSc Mathematics and Economics (School of Mathematical Sciences)
Badminton background: Represented Malaysia at senior international level including at Uber Cup, Asian Games, SEA Games and World Junior champs.
Top achievements: Top world ranking of #54, Youth Commonwealth Games silver medallist, Wimbledon Senior Gold champion, BUCS Champion (Women's Singles) 2017 and 2018, EUSA Silver Medallist (Women's Singles) 2017
"I chose to play badminton at The University of Nottingham because of the amazing sports facilities here as well as the great coaches, who can help me improve my game."