Performance Men's Hockey
Hockey players studying at University of Nottingham join an extensive set up with six male squads competing in the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) leagues. Our hockey facilities are world-class; we've recently opened a international-standard water-based hockey pitch within the Nottingham Hockey Centre adjacent to campus and the £40 million David Ross Sports Village houses state-of-the-art physiotherapy and strength and conditioning facilities.
With several University alumni having represented Team GB at the Olympics, including a bronze medal for Anne Panter at the London 2012 Games and victory in the 2015 national university championships we have a strong heritage of performance success combined with significant investment in the facilities and players of the future!
Men's Hockey at The University of Nottingham
The University of Nottingham Hockey programme has been directed by Matt Taylor since 2010. As well as leading the UoN Men's team to the national university title in 2015, Matt has won 3 Premier League championships and the EHB Cup with local National League side Beeston Hockey Club.
The men's programme is overseen by Jamie Cachia, himself a Scotland international with over 50 senior caps with appearances at both the Delhi and Glasgow Commonwealth Games and two European championship bronze medals. As a coach, Jamie has won multiple national titles, including BUCS championship gold with Sheffield Hallam University in 2012/13.
Contact Matt Taylor
- 2 weekly squad sessions (60-120 min each)
- 3 weekly strength & conditioning sessions, including sprint training (60 min each)
- 3 weekly drop-in sessions available
- additional squad training for National League players
- 2016/17 - BUCS Championship finalist (Men 1)
- 2016/17 - Midlands Premier champions
- 2016/17 - BUCS North A champions (Men 1)
- 2014/15 - BUCS Championship winners (Men 1)
- Six teams competing in British Universities and Colleges Sport leagues (BUCS)
- Men 1: BUCS North A (top division)
- Men 1: England Hockey National League
- Nottingham Varsity
- Robert Clift - Olympic gold medallist: Seoul - 1988
- Rob Moore - Represented Team GB at Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 and London 2012 Olympics
- Nick Catlin - Represented Team GB at London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympics
- George Pinner - Current GB No.1 goalkeeper, represented Team GB at Rio 2016 Olympics
- Harry Martin - Current GB squad member, represented Team GB at London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympics
Studied: BSc Economics (School of Economics) 2014 - 2018
Hockey background: Former Cranleigh School student and Surbiton Hockey Club player, now representing Beeston Hockey Club and England Seniors
Top achievements: Winning a bronze medal for England at the 2014 European Under 21 championships, representing England at 2013 and 2016 Junior World Cup. First England Senior cap - March 2017 in Cape Town.
I came to Nottingham so that I could play for one of the best University hockey sides in the UK, work with top coaches but also to gain a degree from a highly-regarded institution.
Studied: BSc Economics (School of Economics) 2012-2016
Hockey background: Current member of the Team GB Olympic Hockey squad. Made senior GB debut at 17 years old, the first player to be selected for an Olympics from England Hockey's single system pathway.
Top achievements: Represented Team GB at the London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympics. BUCS Champion with University of Nottingham in 2014/15.
The sports scholarship scheme and the excellent support I received from the University of Nottingham has been invaluable in helping me achieve my goal of representing Team GB at the Olympic Games.