Performance Men's Hockey
Hockey players studying at University of Nottingham join an extensive set up with six male squads competing in the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) leagues. Our hockey facilities are world-class; we've recently opened a international-standard water-based hockey pitch within the Nottingham Hockey Centre adjacent to campus and the £40 million David Ross Sports Village houses state-of-the-art physiotherapy and strength and conditioning facilities.
With several University alumni having represented Team GB at the Olympics, including a bronze medal for Anne Panter at the London 2012 Games and victory in the 2015 national university championships we have a strong heritage of performance success combined with significant investment in the facilities and players of the future!
Men's Hockey at The University of Nottingham
The University of Nottingham Hockey programme has been directed by Matt Taylor since 2010. As well as leading the UoN Men's team to the national university title in 2015, Matt has won 3 Premier League championships and the EHB Cup with local National League side Beeston Hockey Club.
The men's programme is overseen by Lloyd Madsen, himself a former South African International (90+ Caps), currently coaching at Repton HC and has formerly coached the South African Women’s National Senior Squad and at AMHC Pinoke (Amsterdam).
Lloyd represented South Africa at the London 2012 Olympics and has competed in 2 Commonwealth Games and 2 World Cups.
Contact Matt Taylor
- 2 weekly squad sessions (60-120 min each)
- 3 weekly strength & conditioning sessions, including sprint training (60 min each)
- 3 weekly drop-in sessions available
- additional squad training for National League players
- 2016/17 - BUCS Championship finalist (Men 1)
- 2016/17 - Midlands Premier champions
- 2016/17 - BUCS North A champions (Men 1)
- 2014/15 - BUCS Championship winners (Men 1)
- Six teams competing in British Universities and Colleges Sport leagues (BUCS)
- Men 1: BUCS North A (top division)
- Men 1: England Hockey National League
- Nottingham Varsity
- Robert Clift - Olympic gold medallist: Seoul - 1988
- Rob Moore - Represented Team GB at Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 and London 2012 Olympics
- Nick Catlin - Represented Team GB at London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympics
- George Pinner - Current GB No.1 goalkeeper, represented Team GB at Rio 2016 Olympics
- Harry Martin - Current GB squad member, represented Team GB at London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympics
Studying: Georgraphy BA
Hockey background: Whitgift School, Surbiton U16 and U18, Surbiton Mens 1s, England U16, U18 and U21, GB U21.
Top achievements: 2018 and 2019 Sultan of Johor Cup Gold for GB, 2019 EuroHockey Junior Championship Silver for England, Wining the Mens Premier League Championship with Surbiton Men's 1 in 2018
"My time at the University of Nottingham has been great! I have really thrived off the Hockey Club, sports facilities and Geography department, all of which make this University an all rounded top university. The support from both the Hockey club and Geography department have been so beneficial for me as a student athlete."
Studying: History BA
Hockey background: Whitgift school. Wimbledon Hockey Club. England U21 team and GB development squad.
Top achievements: Winning a silver medal at European U21, and being selected for the Johor cup in Malaysia for U21 England team.
"I choose the University of Nottingham not only because of it's phenomenal sporting facilities and hockey team, but also because of its all round balance of education and sport. It was for this reason I felt I would be able to grow as a player whilst gaining a fantastic degree!"