Performance Rugby League
The University of Nottingham Rugby League Club fields three teams, with a successful league and cup record as well as an active and welcoming social section. The club participates in the BUCS league and cup competitions, and is part of the high profile Nottingham Varsity programme.
The club caters for players with a wide range of experience, from Professional Academy level players and Student Internationals through to beginners with no rugby league background. New players are welcome - no previous experience is necessary.
The club operates a Performance Squad for players with 1st team potential, which provides strength and conditioning and physiotherapy services, in addition to nutrition and sports psychology support.
Rugby League at The University of Nottingham
Joe Shepherd is a RFL qualified coach and a England Talent Pathway Coach. He is also a Rugby League Coach Educator and is currently Director of Coaching at Nottingham Outlaws RLFC.
Contact Joe Shepherd
- Monday: 7.45-8.45am S&C at David Ross Sports Village
- Tuesday: 7-8.30pm Squad Training at David Ross Sports Village 3G Pitch
- Wednesday: Match day
- Friday: 5.30-7pm Recovery/S&C
- Friday: 7-8pm Squad Training at David Ross Sports Village 3G Pitch
- Sunday: 5-7pm Squad Training at David Ross Sports Village 3G Pitch
Midlands League Champions: 2007, 2008, 2014, 2016, 2017
- BUCS Trophy Winners: 2016, 2017
- University of Nottingham Team of the Year 2015-16
- BUCS Premier North (1st Team)
- BUCS Midlands 2A (2nd Team)
- BUCS Championship 9s (1st Team)
- BUCS Rugby League 9s (3rd Team)
Studying: BsC Economics
Rugby League background: URL 1st Team (2015-2017), Leigh Centurions (2012-2013), Warrington Wolves (2013-2015), Shevington Sharks (2003-2017)
Top achievement: Winning the U19 Super League with Warrington Wolves
UNRL has shaped my entire University life; playing, training and living with teammates has meant the Club has felt like a family.
Studying: BA Politics
Rugby League background: UNRL 1st team (2015-2017), Nottingham Outlaws Development and 1st team (2016-2017)
Top achievement: Winning BUCS trophy - 2016 & 2017
I came to Nottingham not thinking I would be playing Rugby League, but looking back it's the best decision I've made at University.