Performance Table Tennis
Table tennis players studying at The University of Nottingham join the strongest and most established programme of any UK university. Nottingham has an impressive history of national and international triumphs, with the most successful female player of all time, four-times Olympic champion Deng Yaping, amongst our alumni. National and Commonwealth champions include Alex Perry, Nicola Deaton and current students Daniel Reed and Maria Tsaptsinos.
The £40 million David Ross Sports Village acts as a hub for English performance table tennis; we host England national squad training and University of Nottingham students have access to regular training and coaching alongside the world's top 100 players. Strong links to China, Malaysia and Europe also offer the opportunity to compete and train abroad.
With the flagship PG Mutual National Championships heading to our home venue in March 2017 and 2018, it's an incredibly exciting time to be part of the set up!
Table Tennis at The University of Nottingham
Head Coach Kelly Sibley has led our table tennis programme since the 2016/17 season. A Commonwealth Games bronze medalist and London 2012 Olympian, Kelly is the current number 1 ranked player in England.
The programme is supported by Matjaz Sercer, former Italian and Slovenian National Coach, Gavin Evans, former British Senior Men's champion and Ryan Jenkins, Welsh No.1 and arguably the greatest Welsh player of all time.
Contact Kelly Sibley
Players may train for 20-25 hours per week with several team and individual sessions with our international-level coaches. Each player can tailor their programme to their academic needs:
- 4 weekly team sessions (3 hours each)
- weekly strength & conditioning sessions (60 minutes each)
- individual 1-2-1 sessions and multiball training
- regular performance analysis
- international training camps
- 2017 - National U21 Champion and Women's Doubles Champion - Maria Tsaptsinos
- 2016/17 - Sport Nottinghamshire Team of the Year
- 2016/17 - Won 4 out of 5 gold medals at the BUCS Nationals Individual competition
- 2016/17 - BUCS Premier North champions (Men) and Premier Midlands champions (Women)
- 2015/16 - Represented UK at European University Sport Association Games
- 2015/16 - BUCS National Cup and League team champions (Men and Women)
- 2014/15 - BUCS National Cup and league team champions (Men and Women)
- Ten teams competing in British Universities and Colleges Sport leagues (BUCS)
- Women 1: BUCS Midlands 1A (top division)
- Men 1: BUCS Premier North (top division)
- BUCS Individual Championships
- European University Sport Association (EUSA) Games
- Tri Campus Games
- Nottingham Varsity
- Deng Yaping - the world's greatest female player; 6 x World champion and 4 x Olympic champion
- Alex Perry - 4 x Commonwealth gold medallist, 14 senior national titles, British champion
- Nicola Deaton - European and Commonwealth medallist, 5 x English National champion
- Paul McCreery - Current Ireland No. 1 singles player
Deng Yaping scholarship
A University of Nottingham graduate, Deng Yaping won six world championships and four Olympic gold medals during her career and as one of the greatest table tennis players of all-time.
Our Deng Yaping Sports Scholarship offers Chinese national table tennis players an opportunity to combine an international education, with performance sport opportunities across Europe. Scholarships for 2017 entry include 2 Masters scholarships and 4 Undergraduate scholarships.
Further details and application form (Deadline 19 May 2017)
Studying: MSc Brain Imaging (School of Pyschology)
Tabe Tennis background: Represented Team England at two Commonwealth Games and Team GB at the European and World Championships
Top achievements: 3 x Commonwealth Games medallist (Silver - Delhi 2010, Silver and Bronze - Glasgow 2014), 3 x BUCS Champion 2016 (Men's Singles, Men's Doubles and Mixed Doubles)
I chose to study in Nottingham as UoN Table Tennis is the strongest University team in the UK. The University also offers amazing training facilities and a truly world-class coaching team.
Studying: MSc Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Management (School of Business)
Tabe Tennis background: Competed in Universities' Games of Peoples Republic of China
Top achievements: Singles champion at the National North-South Table Tennis Competition (2008), 2 x BUCS Champion 2016 (Women's Singles, Mixed Doubles)
The table tennis club at The University of Nottingham is well-known for its strong perofrmances. As a Deng Yaping scholar, I came here as my scholarship allowed me to study and build my game at the same time.