Tennis players studying at the University of Nottingham join one of the most ambitious set ups in the country. The programme is supported with LTA funding, boasts an experienced coaching team and is one of only five universities in the UK to host a TASS player/coach. Frequent team training and individual sessions allow talented young players to drive their game forwards, whilst studying for a degree at a global top 70 university.
We're proud to partner with the Nottingham Tennis Centre, located adjacent to our University Park Campus, to offer unrivalled training facilities for our student athletes. The venue, which boasts 34 courts total, hosts multiple major tournaments including a WTA Tour and ATP Challenger Event (Nature Valley Open) before Wimbledon.
It is an exciting time to join the University of Nottingham team as they ranked 2nd in BUCS Tennis rankings in 2019/20 and had more teams reach the BUCS Cup finals than any other institution in the UK (3 out of 4 teams).
Tennis at The University of Nottingham
Our Head of Tennis is Matt Wildt, who has led our programme full-time for over six years. A Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) Senior Performance Coach, Matt was also named the 2016 Nottinghamshire Coach of the Year at the Aegon British Tennis awards.
Supporting the programme are fellow coaches Ash Broomhead, Carl Saxby and TASS player/coach Freya Christie.
Contact Matt Wildt
- 6 weekly court sessions (90 min each)
- 3 weekly strength & conditioning sessions (60min each)
- options for individual sessions
- regular performance video analysis
- 2018/19 - BUCS North A 1st place (Men 1) and promotion to National League
- 2018/19 - BUCS North A 1st place (Women 1) and promotion to National League
- 2018/19- BUCS Trophy Winner (Men 2)
- 2018/19- Three BUCS individual medals, BUCS Doubles Silver, BUCS Doubles Bronze, BUCS Singles Silver.
- 2019/20 BUCS ranking 2nd in the UK for Tennis
- Men’s 1st Team: 2nd in National League
- Women’s 1st Team: 4th in National League
- 13 teams competing in British Universities and Colleges Sport leagues (BUCS)
- Women 1: BUCS National
- Men 1: BUCS National
- BUCS individual championships
- Nottingham Varsity
Studied: MSC Supply Chain and Operations Management
Tennis background: Have been playing since I was 8 years old, recently finished 4 years of playing university tennis in Utah, America.
Top achievements: recieving a professional ranking points in singles and doubles, representing Great Britain at junior level and being 2nd all time in Utah tennis singles victories with 94.
"Playing for the University of Nottingham was an amazing experience. The coaching and performance staff is really professional and very supportive in every way. We were competing at a very high level and were having a lot of fun doing it as a team."
Studying: BSc Physiotherapy
Tennis background: International singles career high of 635 WTA
Top achievements: Singles winner of $10.000 in Egypt and Silver medal representing team GB at Master U’ in France
"I chose The University of Nottingham as I was very impressed with the tennis team, sports facilities and it is one of the top places to study Physiotherapy. The combination of great tennis and the academics provided is excellent!"