Services for Students

Funding for Part Time Undergraduate students Pre 2018 entry

Information on this page relates to students who started their course between September 2012 and September 2017.

Information if you will be a NEW part time undergraduate student in 2018/19 or onwards.

From September 2012 part time undergradaute students will be able to apply for a tuition fee loan from Student Finance of up to £6,935, depending on the actual tuition fee for your course. 

In order to be eligible for the loan, you must be studying at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course in the relevant year. You must also normally live in England, meet all the regulations to qualify for student finance and be studying for your first degree.

The loan is not based on household income. 

There is no help towards living costs as it is expected that part time students will be working or in receipt of benefits.

Students starting in September 2017 and returning students, who entered the university from September 2012 onwards, can apply for the tuition fee loan by applying online at the web pages. There is no age limit for applying for the fee loan.

You will begin to make repayments to the loan in the April four years after the start of your course.  The amount you repay per month depends on your income

Financial support from the University of Nottingham

The University is offering a Bursary to part time students, as outlined in the table below, to help with course costs.

If you are in receipt of one of the following benefits you will receive the maximum award level for the relevant 'fte'*:

  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Local Housing Allowance
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • New Deal
  • Income related Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

You will need to provide evidence that you receive the benefit/s; email for further information.

If you do not receive any of the above you will need to have an assessment carried out to confirm your income (and that of any partner).  In order for us to carry out the assessment you will need to provide one, or more, of the following documents:

  • P60
  • P45
  • P11D
  • P2 Notice of Coding
  • P60U
  • CI2

for the previous financial year, for you and any partner

If you are self-employed we will need:

  • Self-assessment tax return
  • Self-assessment tax calculation GSA1

for the previous financial year, for you an any partner

For more information about the income assessment please contact the Financial Support by phone 0115 823 2071, or email:

Part Time Bursary Awards

 Income level

Award levels (by fte* and income level)
   75% 60-74% 50-59%
 up to £15,000 £750 £650 £500
 £15,001 to £25,000 £500 £450 £350


 *percentage of full time course studied

Apply now

Benefits Information

Full time students can’t usually claim income-related benefits but part time students are sometimes eligible. However, the rules on eligibility can be complex, and depend on your personal circumstances.

Part time students can still claim means-tested benefits such as Jobseeker’s Allowance, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit if they are unemployed. However to be eligible for Jobseeker’s Allowance you must be available and actively seeking work. If you are a single parent, or have a disability or long-term illness, and have a low income you may be able to claim Income Support or Employment & Support Allowance instead of Jobseeker’s Allowance.

If you’re already claiming income-related benefits and want to start a degree course, you should ask Jobcentre Plus and/or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will affect your benefits. If you’re currently at University the Student Advice Centre will be able to help.


Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points