Midwifery BSc

This funding information is only relevant for students with 'home'* status and who usually live in the UK. Other students should contact the NHS Student Bursaries team to check their eligibility.

All figures shown will apply to NEW students who start during the 2016/17 academic year and CONTINUING students who started their course in the 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015 academic year.

Students who started before September 2012 should refer to the NHSBSA web pages for funding information for the 2016/17 academic year.

2017/18 Entry

From 2017/18 entry the Government has announced changes in student finance for Nursing, Midwifery and allied health care courses. NHS funding will no longer be offered. Students will be funded by the Student Loans Company in the same way as other courses with tuition fee and maintenance loans. Students who already have a degree will be able to receive funding to study on these courses. More information available here.


Tuition fees

The NHS will pay your tuition fees if you fulfil the criteria for a 'home' student, but you must apply for the fee Bursary via the NHS Bursary Online Support System (BOSS)

Living costs

Eligible students may receive the following :

Midwifery BSc funding
If you are studying and living: Non means tested NHS GrantMeans tested NHS Bursary Non means tested Student Loan  Total (maximum)
in England (outside London) in student rented accomodation/or your own home  £1,000  £4,491


(£1,811 in final year)

in England and living with your parents £1,000 £3,439


(£1,324 in final year)



Additional Allowances from the NHS

Dependants Allowance

Students with dependants (both children and adult) may be eligible for a means tested allowance of £2,448 for their first dependant and an additional £549 for any other children.

Childcare Allowance

This means-tested allowance is available to students with dependent children aged 15 or under (or 17 and under for children with special educational needs) on the first day of the academic year. This allowance pays up to 85% of actual childcare costs up to a maximum of £128.78 per week for one child and £191.45 per week for two or more children. 

Parents Learning Allowance

This means tested allowance, of up to £1,204 is to help with course-related costs such as books, photocopying and material. 

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

Home students who have a disability may be eligible to receive funding to help with extra costs incurred while attending their course which are a result of their disability. Advice is available from the University’s Disability Support team.

How to apply

You apply for the NHS funding online vis their Bursary Online Support System (BOSS). Once you have made a 'firm' choice on UCAS you can register to create a BOSS account and continue through the application process.

For the Student Loan you apply through the relevant Student Finance body; Student Finance England (SFE), Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland or Student Awards Agency for Scotland.

To apply online through SFE go to the Gov.uk web pages. Make sure you tick the correct boxes that relate to the NHS Bursary, as ticking the wrong one can impact on the SFE assessment for your loan.

For intakes September 2017 onwards

Changes to the funding and financial support of students beginning nursing, midwifery or physiotherapy courses were announced in the government Spending Review in November 2015.

From 2017/18, new students will no longer receive NHS bursaries and will need to take out maintenance and tuition loans like other students. This does not affect current students or those who have applied for 2016/17 entry unless you have deferred, in which case you would fall under the new rules. For current details please visit the gov.uk bursary reform webpage.

*Home status

To be personally eligible for an NHS bursary all students, regardless of nationality, must be able to satisfy the requirements outlined below on the first day of the first academic year of the course (the ‘prescribed date’). On that day applicants must:

  • have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man during the three years preceding the prescribed date, apart from occasional or temporary absences; and
  • be ordinarily resident in England, Scotland , Wales or Northern Ireland on the prescribed date (other than medical and dental students who must be ordinarily resident in England.); and
  • be settled in the UK within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971. This means that there must be no restrictions on your length of stay in the UK.


Group of nursing students in uniform

Related Links

NHS BSA - for Bursary information


Gov.uk - for Student Loans

Funding Factsheet to download PDF file icon

Support Funds including Access to Learning Fund and Childcare Support Scheme

Council tax information

Student Advice Centre - for benefits and debt advice