Student Services Academic Support

Support for Students with Specific Learning Differences

We have a small team of friendly and experienced specialist tutors who can help you if you have, or think you may have, dyslexia, dyspraxia and ADHD or any other Specific Learning Difference. Academic Support offers individual specialist support to facilitate study and develop effective study strategies. 

What evidence is required from students with specific learning differences, e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD?

You will need to have a report.  From September 2018 intake, we will accept both pre- and post-16 evidence.  We will only accept an Educational Psychologist or Specialist Teacher report or equivalent e.g. Occupational Therapist report, ECH Plan or a report from an appropriately qualified medical practitioner.  Reports should be provided in English and translations from the original should be provided by an accredited professional translation service.  The University will not accept an access arrangement form (Form 8) or a Disabled Students' Allowances Needs Assessment Report as suitable evidence.

The University can provide information and advice about this process if required.

Do you need to arrange alternative examination arrangements?

If you do, all requests for alternative examination arrangements for Specific Learning Differences (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, AD(H)D) must be supported by current evidence. Please see the deadlines for putting such alternative examination arrangements in place.

Individual Specialist Support

Group of students sitting on the grass


This page contains information about the individual support available for students with dyslexia and other Specific Learning Differences.

Screening/Formal Assessment 

Male student studying in a library


This page contains details of the screening process for Specific Learning Differences and formal assessment of dyslexia at the University of Nottingham.

Examination Arrangements

male and female student in an exam


This page contains guidance on what to do if you require alternative examination arrangements due to a Specific Learning Difference.


Accessibility (Academic Support)

Portland Building
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44(0) 115 84 66115