Student Services Disability Support


Advice for students who have a physical disability, a long-term medical condition, Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, a sensory impairment or mental health issues.

The following information is appropriate for all applicants; international students are advised to check for where there is specific guidance they need to consider.  Specific conditions and provisions should be discussed with the University and/or sources of advice in your own country e.g. agency, embassy, sponsor.

Why tell us about your disability?

Knowing about your requirements in advance can help us to prepare and arrange support in time for the start of your course. We would therefore encourage you to disclose your disability or Specific Learning Difference to us as soon as possible, as failure to do so may affect our ability to make certain adjustments that you may require.

Further information can be found on our Privacy Statement in line with GDPR.


What happens after you tell us about your disability...

We believe you need to have all the facts before you can make an informed choice about where to study. 

Academic Support - advice for students with Specific Learning Differences e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD

If you declare on your application that you are dyslexic, dyspraxic, or have ADHD or another Specific Learning Difference...

One of the Academic Support team will contact you once you have made Nottingham your firm or insurance place.

Disability Support - advice for students with a disability e.g. physical disability, a long-term medical condition, a sensory impairment or mental health issues

If you declare a disability or long-term medical condition on your application form...

You will be contacted and asked to complete a Further Information form, which will enable us to assess your needs and you may be invited to a meeting with a Disability Adviser, a representative from the academic school to which you are applying, and any other relevant support staff (e.g. Mental Health Adviser).  These meetings will take place in the weeks beginning: 5th February, 5th March, 19th March, and 23rd April 2018.


Academic Support Worker Service

The Academic Support Worker Service provides support for your academic studies. When you begin your studies, if, following assessment or discussion with your Academic Support Tutor or Disability Support Adviser, Academic Support Work has been agreed then your Academic Support Tutor or Disability Support Adviser will make a request to the Support Worker Service.



Students with a disability are guaranteed a suitable room in University-arranged accommodation for the duration of their studies. You will need to complete the online application process for accommodation for each relevant year and provide details of your requirements. If further information is required Accommodation Services will contact you to discuss. Where appropriate they can arrange visits to our accommodation to assist you with selecting the most suitable room for your needs. It is important to note that if an accommodation application is made late this may delay any necessary adjustments to be made but the University will endeavour to assist within a reasonable time frame.

Further information on Accommodation Services.


Disabled Students' Allowances and Student Funding

Disabled Students' Allowances are funding to help meet the extra course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability or specific learning difference. They are aimed at helping people with a disability to study on an equal basis with other students. You do not have to repay DSAs.

Eligible full-time, part-time and postgraduate students can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances.

Further information is available about DSA and other student funding including scholarships for students with a disability. Home students should check the web pages.

International Students can expect to receive a similar level of support as home students, as far as is reasonably possible. This would include generic provision such as adjustments to examination arrangements in addition to other services that are funded by DSAs for a home student.

Postgraduate students, particularly those funded by Research Councils UK, can find further information on DSA funding from the Graduate School support for disabled students.


Personal care

Personal care is outside of the University's responsibilities and is not funded through DSAs. We recommend that you consider care providers that are registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC is the health and social care regulator for England. On their website you can search for domiciliary care services in Nottingham and find:

This way, you will be able to get an up to date list of all the providers in this area. This is also something you might find helpful to discuss with your Social Worker.


Study abroad

Many courses either require a period of study abroad or offer opportunities for an optional period of study abroad.  Students with a disability will usually benefit from planning ahead, so thinking about what you may need if you do study abroad can be helpful even at the application stage. It may help you choose the right course for you so you can have a successful period of Study Abroad. 

Guidance for students with a disability who are considering Study Abroad


Transfer of ongoing support and medical care from home to University

You will need to consider how your support and medical care can be transferred from home to University. Planning ahead to understand more about the health and welfare support available may help you at the application stage.

Our page offering guidance regarding Study Abroad provides a useful model of the issues to consider for transferring from home to University in the UK.

Further information, including about mental health support, can be found in our sidebar of links on the right hand side of this page.


Additional sources of support which may inform your application

Accessible sports facilities

The University of Nottingham takes a proactive approach towards developing disability sport and are one of a small number of universities who employ a Disability Sport Officer.

Further information about Disability Sports including the Disability Sports Scholarship available to elite sportsmen and women looking to study and train at Nottingham.


The University of Nottingham Chaplaincy provides a variety of faith and pastoral support to students.  Further information about our Chaplaincy is available for those students wishing to explore this ahead of making their application.

Library support

Our libraries offer a range of support to ensure that facilities and services are accessible to students with disabilities, including those with a Specific Learning Difference (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD).  These include alternative formats, assistive technology, and enhanced library support.

Welfare Officers and Disability Liaison Officers

A network of Welfare Officers is available across the university for all students to access in relation to welfare issues.  Additionally, each School has a Disability Liaision Officer (DLO) who acts as a point of reference, advice and guidance for members of staff and students in the School about disability issues and support. DLOs liaise with Accessibility (Academic Support and Disability Support), as necessary, in relation to individual students and general policies and procedures. 


Accessibility (Academic Support, Disability Support and ACCESS Centre)

Cherry Tree Lodge
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44(0) 115 82 32070
For email contact information, please visit our Contact Accessibility page