Student Services Accessibility

Coming to Nottingham

For applicants and those coming to study at Nottingham

We are the Accessibility Team: Academic Support, Disability Support and ACCESS Centre

We are here to support you if have a physical disability, a long-term medical condition, Specific Learning Differences (SpLDs) e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, a sensory impairment or mental health issues.  The following information will guide you on making an informed choice on where to study and help you prepare for your arrival. 

19/20 Start of term and requesting Support for Exams

When you accept your offer of a place at Nottingham, please upload a Further Details Form and supporting evidence to your MyNottingham account if you haven’t done so already.

You have a deadline of Friday 8th November 2019 to have provided a Further Details Form and Evidence to the Accessibility Team to secure Reasonable Adjustments to your exams due in January 2020.  We will review the information and evidence you have provided and confirm alternative exam arrangements.

If you have Reasonable Adjustments showing as in place but wish to amend them you must attend our start of term appointments.  If you are happy with the support arrangements then you do not need to do anything further.

If you are unsure what evidence is required please read the information on the following page before arranging a short appointment:  Evidence Guidance

If you need a copy of the Further Details Form it is available from a link on the righthand side of this webpage.

How to upload to MyNottingham

  1. Click the Support icon
  2. Select support type ‘Disability and Academic Support’
  3. Select support sub-type ‘Medical Evidence’
  4. In the summary box type ‘Disability Support’
  5. You can type the same thing in the Details box
  6. Click ‘Attach Files’
  7. Select your document. Repeat to attach another document if required
  8. Select ‘Done’
  9. You will return to the Support view, now click ‘Submit’
  10. You will see ‘Support request successfully saved’ and it will be listed in ‘Current Support Requests

Location details for our start of term short appointments will be available soon but they will be between these times:

During week one and two (Monday 23rd September to Friday 4th October) short appointments are available 10-4pm.

We usually have availability in week one so you are more likely to get an appointment. In week two teaching will start so check your timetable, come to Cherry Tree Lodge and select a slot.

During weeks three to four (Monday 7th October to Friday 18th October) short appointments are available 12-2pm.

Look for a queue buster student helper at Cherry Tree Lodge and avoid the line for Visas, Immigration and Funding queries. We are usually fully booked so please don’t leave it to the last minute!

After this date we will be able to arrange support – but it will not be in place for January exams.


Is my condition a disability?

In the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities you can qualify for support under the broad label of disability.

You may not think of yourself as disabled, but you may have an unseen disability such as a long-term health condition, a specific learning difference (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD), or mental health difficulties.

You can find out more about who we can support from our Academic Support and Disability Support leaflets. 


When to tell us about your disability

If you are coming to study at Nottingham, then we encourage you to disclose your disability or Specific Learning Difference to us as soon as possible (e.g. on your UCAS or direct application form). Knowing about your requirements in advance can help us to prepare and arrange support in time for the start of your studies here at Nottingham.

Failiure to disclose on application may affect our ability to make certain adjustments that you may require, but you can get in touch with us at any time if you are applicant or a registered student.

International students are advised to check for where there is specific guidance they need to consider.  Specific conditions and provisions should be discussed with the University and/or sources of advice in your own country e.g. agency, embassy, sponsor.

To find out more about how we handle your data, please see our Privacy Statement.

What happens after you tell us about your disability...

Once you declare a disability on your application form, we will contact you to get more information about your disability and explain more about how we can support you. 

Academic Support - advice for students who have declared a Specific Learning Difference e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD

Undergraduate students: one of the Academic Support team will contact you once you have made Nottingham your firm or insurance place.

Postgraduate students: our Academic Support team will be in contact once you have accepted your place to study at Nottingham.

Disability Support - advice for students who have declared a disability e.g. physical disability, a long-term medical condition, a sensory impairment or mental health issues

You will be asked to complete a Further Information form, which will enable us to assess your needs.

You may be invited to a meeting with a Disability Adviser, a representative from the academic school to which you are applying, and any other relevant support staff (e.g. Mental Health Adviser). 


Academic Support Worker Service

I used a scribe in my exams?

I used a reader in my exams?

A note taker took notes for me in my classes?

You can discuss this type of support with your Academic Support Tutor or Disability Support Adviser. The Academic Support Worker Service provides support for your academic studies.



If you are going to apply for University arranged accommodation and have a disability that means you have particular accommodation requirements, whether you need en-suite or a deaf-alerter in your room, our Accommodation team will be happy to assist. Please provide details in your online application and they will contact you to discuss things further.

Further information on Accommodation Services.

Disabled Students' Allowances and Student Funding

Disabled Students' Allowances are funding to help meet the extra course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability or specific learning difference. They are aimed at helping people with a disability to study on an equal basis with other students. You do not have to repay DSAs.

Eligible full-time, part-time and postgraduate students can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances.

Further information is available about DSA and other student funding including scholarships for students with a disability. Home students should check the web pages.

International Students can expect to receive a similar level of support as home students, as far as is reasonably possible. This would include generic provision such as adjustments to examination arrangements in addition to other services that are funded by DSAs for a home student.

Postgraduate students, particularly those funded by Research Councils UK, can find further information on DSA funding from the Graduate School support for disabled students.


Personal care

Personal care is outside of the University's responsibilities and is not funded through DSAs. We recommend that you consider care providers that are registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC is the health and social care regulator for England. On their website you can search for domiciliary care services in Nottingham and find:

  • The CQC Reports about Care Service
  • Details of the service it offers
  • The CQC's quality rating for the Service, thus making it easier to compare with others 

This way, you will be able to get an up to date list of all the providers in this area to help you choose care services for you. This is also something you might find helpful to discuss with your Social Worker.


Study abroad and placements

Our undergraduate courses may either require a period of study/work abroad or offer opportunities for an optional period of outside the UK; postgraduate students may also need to consider if they will be abroad for any length of time e.g. gathering research data. 

Many vocational courses (e.g. health sciences, social work, engineering) will include periods of time on placement or in the workplace, and our opportunities for internships and placements are expanding.


Disabled students will usually benefit from planning ahead, so thinking about what you may need if you do a period of study/work abroad as part of your course can be helpful even at the application stage. It may help you choose the right course for you so you can have a successful period of Study Abroad. 

Guidance for students with a disability who are considering Study Abroad

Guidance for students on placements: reasonable adjustments in the workplace (forthcoming)


Transfer of ongoing support and medical care from home to University

You will need to consider how any existing support and medical care you currently receive can be transferred from home to Nottingham. Planning ahead to understand more about the health and welfare support available may help you when you are making decisions about coming to Nottingham.

Our page offering guidance regarding Study Abroad provides a useful model of the issues to consider for transferring from home to Nottingham, including if you are coming to study with us from outside the UK.

Further information, including about mental health support, can be found in our sidebar of links on the right hand side of this page.


Additional sources of support which may inform your application

Accessible sports facilities

The University of Nottingham takes a proactive approach towards developing disability sport and are one of a small number of universities who employ a Disability Sport Officer.

Further information about Disability Sports including the Disability Sports Scholarship available to elite sportsmen and women looking to study and train at Nottingham.


The University of Nottingham Chaplaincy provides a variety of faith and pastoral support to students.  Further information about our Chaplaincy is available for those students wishing to explore this ahead of making their application.

Library support

Our libraries offer a range of support to ensure that facilities and services are accessible to students with disabilities, including those with a Specific Learning Difference (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD).  These include alternative formats, assistive technology, and enhanced library support.

Welfare Officers and Disability Liaison Officers

A network of Welfare Officers is available across the university for all students to access in relation to welfare issues.  Additionally, each School has a Disability Liaision Officer (DLO) who acts as a point of reference, advice and guidance for members of staff and students in the School about disability issues and support. DLOs liaise with Accessibility (Academic Support and Disability Support), as necessary, in relation to individual students and general policies and procedures. 


Accessibility (Academic Support, Disability Support and ACCESS Centre)

Cherry Tree Lodge
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44(0) 115 82 32070
For email contact information, please visit our Contact Accessibility page