Student Services Accessibility

Evidence for Accessibility Support

In order for Accessibility to put in place your support, you will need to give us a copy of your evidence. You may want a printable copy of this page to discuss with a specialist

Printable PDF version of this page

What evidence do you need to give us if you have specific learning differences, e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD?

You will need to have a report that identifies you have a Specific Learning Difference. We will accept both pre- and post-16 evidence from an Educational Psychologist or Specialist Teacher or equivalent e.g. Occupational Therapist. EHC Plans or reports from an appropriately qualified medical practitioner are also accepted. Evidence must include appropriate diagnostic information of the assessment carried out to identify your SpLD.

All evidence must be provided in English. If translation is required, it is your responsibility to arrange this with an accredited professional translation service.

The University will not accept an access arrangement form (Form 8), letters from your previous school or college, or a Disabled Students' Allowances Needs Assessment Report as suitable evidence.

The University can provide information and advice about this process if required.

If you think you may be dyslexic (or have another Specific Learning Difference) but have never had a formal assessment, find out more about screening and formal assessments for SpLDs.

Please contact Academic Support if you need further information.

What evidence do you need to give us if you have a long-term medical condition, mental health difficulties or another disability?

Students who have a disability or a medical condition that has lasted, or is likely to last for more than 12 months (Quality Manual) will need to provide evidence from a suitably qualified medical professional (e.g. a GP, Consultant or Specialist Nurse), which identifies:

  • the name of the condition
  • when the condition was diagnosed/identified
  • how long the condition has lasted, or is likely to last
  • the main effects of the condition (e.g. mobility impairment, short term concentration ability)
  • any side effects of any medication or treatment

Where no diagnosis is currently available, the Accessibility Team will consider making accommodations if there is a demonstrably significant impact on day to day life and academic work, which is supported by robust appropriate evidence.  This would include significant and consistent concerns from our specialist, academic and welfare colleagues about a student's behaviour and performance.

Medical evidence should be provided in English and translations from the original should be provided by an accredited professional translation service. The University of Nottingham will not accept a Disabled Students' Allowances Needs Assessment Report as suitable evidence.

Please contact Disability Support if you need further information. 

Who will have access to this information about me?

In line with data protection a Privacy Notice will let you know who information will be shared with so that your support recommendations can be put in place. Accessibility will hold your evidence, but your support needs are usually shared with the Disability Liaison Officer and Welfare Officer in your School. 

What if you choose not to disclose?

Do be aware that no support can be put in place if you choose not to disclose. 


Accessibility (Academic Support, Disability Support and ACCESS Centre)

Cherry Tree Lodge
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44(0) 115 82 32070
For email contact information, please visit our Contact Accessibility page