Student Services Accessibility

Funding for Disabled Students

Academic and disability support funding

This page contains information on the various types of funding available to disabled students. The University of Nottingham has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information contained on this page. However, please note that the information provided is for general guidance only and cannot cover all circumstances. You are advised to contact the relevant funding bodies listed for confirmation of current arrangements or to seek further advice.

Please use the following extendable tabs to answer any initial queries you may have about funding for disabled students:

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

For information about the funding available from the Disabled Students' Allowance, please visit the Access Centre pages.



Funds Administered through the University

For information about the funding available through the University, please visit the Financial Support pages.



Social Services

Students who need personal assistance can apply for this through their local Social Services Department. They should contact their local Social Services department as soon as they start applying for University to discuss their requirements.



The Snowdon Award Scheme

The Snowdon Award Scheme assists students in higher education who have a physical disability; it provides funds to help cover costs relating to the disability. The deadline for applications is 31 May each year.

Please visit the Snowdon Award Scheme website for further information




Motability is a national UK charity, which can assist in the provision of vehicles and powered wheelchairs to people who have a disability.

For further information please visit the Motability website.



The Access to Work Scheme (AtW)

Access to Work (AtW) is run by the Government's Department for Work and Pensions and provides financial and practical assistance for people who have a disability, to assist them in obtaining work or carrying out their job. Through this scheme the Government will either pay for, or make a grant towards, the cost of additional support needed as a result of a disability, including:

  • Adaption to premises and equipment
  • Special aids to employment
  • Support workers
  • Travel to work
  • Communication support at interview
  • Miscellaneous to pay for 'one off' items of support that do not fall within other categories

Applications must be made by the person with the disability. The first point of contact is either your regional Access to Work contact centre or the Disability Employment Adviser (DEA) at your local Jobcentre. For further information about the AtW, please visit the DirectGov website.



Other Sources of Information

The Disability Service Centre

For advice or information about a claim for Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment please visit the DirectGov website.




Accessibility (Academic Support, Disability Support and ACCESS Centre)

Cherry Tree Lodge
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44(0) 115 82 32070
For email contact information, please visit our Contact Accessibility page