During your studies at Nottingham, you may need to use the health service should you require advice or treatment from a doctor.

National Health Service (NHS)

  • The UK has a state-provided National Health Service (NHS), covering the costs of most medical treatment and services
  • It's free to see an NHS doctor, but there are charges for prescription medicines, and dental and optical services must be paid for
  • It is important that you register with a General Practitioner (GP) when you arrive in the UK – a GP is a doctor who focuses on the health of the whole person (physical, social and psychological)
  • To access the NHS, you can register with a GP at the University of Nottingham Health Service or with a GP near where you live – you will be advised where to register when you arrive
  • If you need advice, you can call 111, the NHS' non-emergency number
  • In an emergency only, call 999 – emergency treatment is provided at the Queen’s Medical Centre Accident and Emergency (A+E) department, which is close to the University Park Campus
  • The NHS provides a confidential service – your medical records will not be shared with the University or your parents

Find out more about the NHS


Open hands

Your access to NHS healthcare

Student visas for more than six months of study

Any students and dependants (if applicable) who are making a new student visa application, either in the UK or overseas, must pay the NHS surcharge or Immigration Health Surcharge.

For students, the fee is currently £470 per year and the same for any dependant family members. The total amount will be calculated as part of the online application process and the whole amount will be payable upfront.

Medical insurance is also needed to pay for health-related costs such as travel costs of returning home due to being unwell or inability to complete your studies.

Students studying for less than six months

If you are on a course lasting less than six months, we advise you to secure private medical insurance before you travel since any hospital treatment will be charged.

Exceptions to this are emergency and urgent care services, mental health, and sexual health services. For community-based health care 'temporary resident' registration with a doctor will give you access to a family doctor and associated services.

 Students arriving from the EU

For the most current and up to date healthcare guidance please refer to the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) information. This information should be updated shortly, specifically in relation to the impact of the UK’s departure from the EU.


University of Nottingham Health Service

The University of Nottingham Health Service is conveniently situated in Cripps Health Centre on University Park Campus. View their information for international students.

The practice specialises in looking after students and staff at the University and their families. In the building there is also a dental practice and pharmacy.

The centre is fully accessible for patients with disabilities. There is a ramp access to the main door and a lift to the first floor.

If you are studying at Sutton Bonington you can register at the Orchard Surgery (Kegworth and Gotham) instead.

Register with the health service



Vaccinations, TB testing and medication

You will be offered vaccinations when you come to study at the University of Nottingham. The vaccinations offered are ones that are recommended for students entering university. This information is available in other languages (pdf).

A safe and effective MMR vaccine protects against three separate diseases – measles, mumps and rubella (rubella) – in one injection. A full course of MMR vaccination requires two doses. Measles, mumps and rubella are highly contagious and can be serious, potentially fatal. Complications, including meningitis, brain swelling (encephalitis) and deafness.

ACWY meningitis vaccines provide protection against four types of bacteria that can cause meningitis – Meningococcus group A, C, W and Y. Students coming to university for the first time are advised to receive a vaccination.

These vaccinations should be arranged before leaving your home country wherever possible. You should also bring a record of your vaccinations to the UK with you. Nationals from some countries coming to the UK for more than six months will have to produce a certificate showing that they are free from infectious tuberculosis (TB) before a visa application will be considered.

Some medicines available elsewhere in the world may not be available in the UK, or may be more controlled than elsewhere. If you have an ongoing medical condition, you should bring at least a three month supply to the UK. You should also contact the University of Nottingham Health Service shortly after your arrival to discuss obtaining further supplies of your medication.


Magnifying glass

Find out more

Use our Welcome Kit for International Students PDF format to find out more about the halthcare and support services available. 



Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points