Postgraduate exchanges

We welcome applications from postgraduates who are considering spending part of their degree here.

Postgraduate students can arrange a visit through:

  • existing exchange agreements
  • self-arranged applications
  • Erasmus+ placements
Postgraduate students

Existing exchange agreements

Where an international or Erasmus+ exchange agreement is already in place, visiting postgraduates can attend the University of Nottingham without paying tuition fees to the university if officially nominated by your home university. You should check with your home university regarding any internal application procedures.

Self-arranged applications

Where there is no international or Erasmus+ exchange agreement in place, or students wish to apply independently, Masters and PhD students from overseas academic institutions can study at the University of Nottingham for a period of up to one year as a postgraduate visiting student. 

Erasmus+ internships

The impact of Brexit means that visa support for the Erasmus+ internship route is coming to an end.

The British Council is continuing to act as immigration sponsor for Temporary Work - Government Authorised Exchange visas, but only in respect of Erasmus+ funding secured up to 2020. The applicant would need a 2014-2020 reference number. Students must approach the British Council directly to access this visa route.

The British Council cannot sponsor participants funded under reference numbers starting 2021 or later, therefore applicants with a reference number from 2021 onwards will not be able to participate in an Erasmus+ internship within the UK.

It is expected that the British Council will close this visa route completely in June 2023.

What to expect

Research and modules

Postgraduate exchange and visiting students can take taught modules or undertake research while at Nottingham towards the Masters or PhD they are studying for at their home university. However, any credits gained cannot count towards a degree at the University of Nottingham.


Students are assigned a supervisor who will offer expert advice on research.

Research training programme

Postgraduate exchange and visiting students can also take part in the regular research training programme of the department, including seminars, workshops and conferences, as well as access seminars and research training offered by the Graduate School.

Facilities and services

Postgraduate exchange and visiting students are able to register with the university as full-time students and have access to all of the university's IT and library facilities as well as a workspace assigned to them within the school/department.

Postgraduate exchange and visiting students can also apply for university housing and are able to access the complete range of the university's support services, sports facilities and are members of the university's Students' Union while registered at Nottingham.

Period of study

Applicants may apply to study for less than a full academic year and will be informed of the pro rata fee on application. As well as the session start date in September, there are standard start dates during an academic year on 1 February, 1 April, 1 July, 1 October and 1 December.


International students

Postgraduate visiting students (classed as international for fees purposes) undertaking a 12-month period of research will be charged the international postgraduate research student fee at a reduced rate. Details of the fees are listed on the student fees website.

Academic requirements

All applicants must be a current student at an overseas university or college of higher education and must have completed at least one year of study at their home university.

The minimum academic requirement is a current overall average equivalent to a 2:2 in the UK.

Please follow the link below for country-specific guidance, grade equivalencies will be found under Masters entry requirements.

Country-specific information

English language requirements

All students are required to meet the University's minimum English language requirements by taking either an IELTS or Pearson Academic PTE test or another recognised English language qualification.

Some universities in non-English-speaking countries teach and examine in the medium of English language, and in certain cases there may be a possibility to provide evidence of an alternative English language test.

For more information please see alternative English language qualifications.

A number of alternative language qualifications can also be accepted as B2 equivalent alternatives for NQF Level 6 (undergraduate degree level) study and above. For more information, please consult the following: English language equivalencies.

How to apply

Contact the Visiting students team for further information.


International Student Recruitment

C Floor, YANG Fujia Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham, NG8 1BB, UK

+44 (0) 115 951 5247
Contact us by email