How to apply


The International Office provide information and advice about how to apply for your student visa from overseas and from within the UK.

We would be happy to guide you through the process. Please refer to our guidance notes below for essential information on how to apply for the Tier 4 (General) student visa and the short-term study visa.



The Tier 4 General Student visa

The Tier 4 General Student visa is part of the points-based system. To secure permission to come to study in the UK you will need to pass a points-based assessment. You will need 40 points to qualify.

You will get 30 points for the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) given to you by the University. The CAS is not an actual certificate or paper document, it is a unique reference number which allows access to a database record which contains all the relevant information about you and the course you will study.

For full details on when you can expect to be issued with a CAS, please visit our webpage on obtaining your CAS
It is important to note that students cannot apply for the Tier 4 visa more than 3 months prior to their course start date. Doing so is likely to result in a visa refusal.

You will earn 10 points if you show that you have enough money to cover your course fees and living expenses - also known as maintenance

Please refer to our guidance on the funding requirements for full details on how to prepare your financial evidence.

Tier 4 application process

Please read the relevant information depending on whether you will apply for your visa overseas, or from within the UK.

Applying from overseas

If you are applying from overseas, please see our information guide ─ Applying for your student visa from overseas  PDF format

For help with the overseas online Tier 4 application form, see our sample form with guidance notes:

Our guidance now includes our ACL code (2HE427)which you need to enter onto your visa application form. This ensures delivery of your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) to the University, for collection on arrival to the UK.

Applying from within the UK

If you are applying from within the UK, please see our information guide ─ Extending your Tier 4 student visa in the UK PDF format   

For help with the Tier 4 online application form, see our sample form with guidance notes:


You should think very carefully about the institution you wish to study at because the visa issued to you under Tier 4 will be linked to a specific institution ─ the one whose CAS you use to apply for your visa. You will not be able to study at a different institution until you have applied for a new visa.


Short-term study visas

International students entering the UK for a period of six months or less such as one semester study abroad students or split-site PhD students are advised to obtain a short-term study visa. Depending on nationality, you can either apply for a short-term study visa on arrival in the UK or you will have to apply for your visa before you travel to the UK. To determine your situation, you can check the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Please note, if the above website states that you "do not need a visa" it means that you don’t need to obtain a visa prior to travel. You may still need to make a visa application on arrival at the UK border.

For more information on how to apply for a student visitor visa, please refer to pages 1-2 in our information guide Applying for your Student Visa Overseas PDF format

It is important to note the restrictions attached to a short-term study visa:

  • The visa is for a maximum of 6 months and cannot be extended from within the UK (therefore the short-term study route is not always appropriate for English language students registering on a degree programme soon after the English language course.)
  • The visa holder is not allowed to undertake any kind of paid or unpaid work whilst in the UK.
  • The visa holder will not have access to the National Health Service, except as a private fee paying patient.
  • Dependants are not able to accompany student visitors to the UK.


International Office

C Floor, YANG Fujia Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham, NG8 1BB, UK

t: +44 (0) 115 951 5247
f: +44 (0) 115 951 5155
e: Email us