If you're interested in helping to make the University more sustainable or are looking for opportunities to gain real world experience, we have a range of ways you can get involved - from one-off volunteering to outdoor projects and media roles.
Those looking for longer term experience can consider a project below, or get in touch with a project idea which can be supported by the Sustainability Team.
These opportunities require minimal commitment but offer a chance to try something different and add to your CV.
- Brighten Up campaign assistant - promote our cycle awareness campaign when the clocks change in autumn
- Waste composition analysis - spend half a day finding out what really gets thrown away!
- Photographer - arrange a photo shoot to expand our media library
Make the most of your time at university by developing a range of practical and transferable skills that enhance your employability.
These projects offer an opportunity to shape sustainability at the University through a combination of research and practical interventions.
- Mapping free drinking water outlets on campus - identify and publicise the locations where you can fill up a reusable water bottle
- Food waste - plan and run a campaign in catered halls to reduce leftovers
- Swap shop - organise events to encourage students to donate and reuse unwanted items
- Visualising travel times - design a user-friendly map that shows how long it takes to travel between our campuses by different modes of transport
- Improving recycling performance - analyse waste data to identify buildings with low recycling rates, investigate reasons for low recycling and work with building users to develop solutions to increase recycling
- Your own project!
To find out more about any of the opportunities listed, get in touch with us via email. If you're interested in proposing your own project, email us with the details.
Careers in sustainability guides
The Environmental Association of Universities and Colleges (EAUC) Scotland have developed a series of guides for those interested in pursuing a career in the area of sustainability.
A sustainability job is defined as a role which overlaps the environmental, social and economic boundaries, and has either a strong environmental or social justice dimension. These jobs can have sustainability as the core focus, a main responsibility, or a small aspect of the role.