Clearing and AdjustmentResults Day. Own it.

International students

  • Print
Call our international Clearing hotline
9am to 5pm UK time, Monday to Friday


Fees and funding

finance icon
Funding your studies is an important consideration.
Make sure that you have sufficient money or funding plans in place before starting your course.

Tuition fees

Students from outside the EU are charged tuition fees at the international rate. If you are unsure of your fee status, please refer to the UKCISA website for guidance.

Search our course vacancies for subjects you are interested in to find details for each course, including the yearly tuition fee.

You can pay your tuition fees in three instalments each year, during our autumn, spring and summer terms.

Living expenses

The amount you spend on living costs will vary depending on your lifestyle and the accommodation you choose, but students applying for a Tier 4 student visa must have evidence of funding for a minimum of £1,015 per month for at least the first nine months of the course (£9,135 total) – in addition to funds for tuition fees.

This amount is higher for students with dependents (eg spouse or children) who will require a visa.

Working in the UK

Many students work part-time during their studies to earn some money and gain some work experience. However, you will not be able to fund your studies through part-time work, and you cannot use potential earnings as part of your financial evidence for a visa application.

As an undergraduate student with a Tier 4 student visa, you can work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time during your vacation periods.


Financial evidence for your visa

If you require a Tier 4 student visa, you will need evidence of money or funding to cover:

  • tuition fees for the first year of your course
  • living expenses for at least the first nine months (£9,135 for a single student)

Scholarships awarded by the University of Nottingham – including the IB Diploma Excellence Scholarship – will be noted in the CAS we issue for your visa application, and so will any tuition fees you have already paid, but you will need to show separate evidence of funding for your living costs and any fees not already paid.

If you will be funded by an official sponsor, you can provide a sponsorship letter as part of your visa application. If you or your family are funding your studies, you can provide a bank statement to show the required funding, but the necessary amount must have been in your account for at least 28 days so it's a good idea to start preparing your financial evidence early.

Find out more about financial evidence and check our seven step guide to visa applications. You should check our full Tier 4 visa guidance before making your application.